Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: galupi20 on March 09, 2010, 07:07:20 pm

Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: galupi20 on March 09, 2010, 07:07:20 pm
In B&H page of Epson 7900 I've read a User Review telling that he has "an average of 0.4ml of total ink consumption for an 8x10".
I am in the way of buying this printer, so, : Can I expect this performance of ink consumption printing a file at this size : Print Quality = Fine/Super photo 1440 dpi/no advance option with Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper ?
Can't find in the web clear information of ink usage of the 7900 in an easy way to understand.

Thanks a lot

Luis
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: pindman on March 09, 2010, 07:59:31 pm
Plus wasting 75 ml ink changing mat to glossy ink.  The new firmware was supposed to fix it, but didn't!

Quote from: galupi20
In B&H page of Epson 7900 I've read a User Review telling that he has "an average of 0.4ml of total ink consumption for an 8x10".
I am in the way of buying this printer, so, : Can I expect this performance of ink consumption printing a file at this size : Print Quality = Fine/Super photo 1440 dpi/no advance option with Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper ?
Can't find in the web clear information of ink usage of the 7900 in an easy way to understand.

Thanks a lot

Luis
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: Farmer on March 10, 2010, 01:18:09 am
Quote from: pindman
Plus wasting 75 ml ink changing mat to glossy ink.  The new firmware was supposed to fix it, but didn't!

You don't waste 75 ml changing from matte to photo (or the other way).  It's in the 3-5 ml range.  Some people had seen cleaning happening after every change, but that should not be a problem now.
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: Wayne Fox on March 10, 2010, 03:20:47 am
Quote from: pindman
Plus wasting 75 ml ink changing mat to glossy ink.  The new firmware was supposed to fix it, but didn't!
Never happened to me, been running a 7900 for well over a year.
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: gofioamasado on March 10, 2010, 02:12:59 pm
my Epson 7900, Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk, 60x45 cms, max quality, 5,51 ml, that makes roughly 20 ml/m2
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: dgberg on March 10, 2010, 02:31:36 pm
I am averaging less then 1.6ml per square foot when printing but round it up to 2ml. At .31 per ml my ink costs are around .62 per square foot. With canvas roll printing sales averaging $21.60 a square foot(.15 per sq. in.includes varnish) ink costs are about 2 1/2% of the sale.
Pretty darn cheap in my book. I admit when buying your first wide format printer this is good info to have, Many folks get a little too fixated on material costs.  I have found out that total material costs in printing and gallery wrapping is usually less then 20% with labor being 80% or higher.
I am looking at this completely from a business perspective. If its a hobby for you then all this labor and materials info may not interest you.
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: galupi20 on March 10, 2010, 08:08:07 pm
Many thanks to all of you. This is the information I was looking for.

I will buy the 7900 tomorrow. Wish I will have a good one.

Luis
Title: Epson 7900/Ink consumption
Post by: Peter McLennan on March 11, 2010, 01:14:41 pm
Inksupply.com informs me that they have a CIS for the 7900 in the final testing stages.  Well worth the investment, IMHO.  But then, I'm biased.