Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: BlueLemon on March 08, 2010, 03:31:52 am
-
I am asking if any of you know which scanning back this is ?
It has SCSI cables, a powerunit and a disk all boxed aside the scanningback
Betterlight scanning back (http://www.bluelemon.dk/betterlight.jpg)
Thanks
-
Looks like a Dicomed Field Pro. Write to Mike Collette at betterlight.com with the serial number, and he should be able to give you complete details.
Cheers,
Kumar
-
Looks exactly like a Dicomed Field Pro - found a website where a picture with similar content assured me that this is a Dicomed Field Pro
Does it have any value today - and what should I pay for such equipment ? Comes with macbook
Claus
Looks like a Dicomed Field Pro. Write to Mike Collette at betterlight.com with the serial number, and he should be able to give you complete details.
Cheers,
Kumar
-
It's much slower than a Betterlight - if you can imagine that
It uses older software on OS9, I think. Might be a little dicey to work with outdoors, but for still-life in the studio, if you have a lot of light, it's still very usable. You might need to stock up on G4 towers and SCSI cables, though! Typical value would be around $700. The good news is that Betterlight still supports it, and Mike is very responsive.
Cheers,
Kumar
-
It's much slower than a Betterlight - if you can imagine that
It uses older software on OS9, I think. Might be a little dicey to work with outdoors, but for still-life in the studio, if you have a lot of light, it's still very usable. You might need to stock up on G4 towers and SCSI cables, though! Typical value would be around $700. The good news is that Betterlight still supports it, and Mike is very responsive.
Cheers,
Kumar
having both a Phase One scan back and a Dicomed FieldPro, all I can say is that Mike and Betterlight will get my business and recommendation 100%. While what Kumar say is true, to a point, if you have the light (or a very small budget), you can get some amazing images from a Dicomed. I use mine both with a Sinar P and an RB67, the latter gets the nod for portability at only a slight loss of image size (due to the 7x7cm image)
erie
-
The picture is definitely of a Dicomed Field Pro, dating from about 1995/6. I still own one I don't use anymore.
For daylight work, you will need the original blue fllter, so make sure it comes with one.
If it works, then image quality is superb, easily matching or beating the best 4x5 LF drum scans. But its a flaky SCSI device so be warned. I used mine with an old Wall St Mac laptop and OS 8.6. I even did some genuine "field" shots, running it from its battery pack.
The latest Betterlights are less flaky but more expensive.
Quentin
-
The latest Betterlights are less flaky but more expensive.
Quentin
Actually, the Betterlight isn't 'flaky' at all. It's extremely stable, and works very well in the most demanding situations. I've used it in all kinds of weather, with PC and Mac laptops and indoors with desktops. Just keeps doing what it's supposed to do. And its Viewfinder software is what capture software ought to be.
Kumar
-
The picture is definitely of a Dicomed Field Pro, dating from about 1995/6. I still own one I don't use anymore.
For daylight work, you will need the original blue fllter, so make sure it comes with one.
If it works, then image quality is superb, easily matching or beating the best 4x5 LF drum scans. But its a flaky SCSI device so be warned. I used mine with an old Wall St Mac laptop and OS 8.6. I even did some genuine "field" shots, running it from its battery pack.
The latest Betterlights are less flaky but more expensive.
Quentin
gee Quentin, if you're no longer using it.....WINK, WINK, NUDGE, NUDGE
-
Dear Kumar,
You seem te know al lot about the Dicomed. Are you experienced user?
Regards
Gerrit
-
Hello Gerrit,
I've been using a Betterlight Super 6K-2 for quite some time now, so yes, I would qualify as an experienced user. But I don't know anything about the Dicomed, except that it was the predecessor of the Betterlight, and that it works with software similar to Viewfinder. Erie and Quentin actually use(d) the Dicomed, so they would probably know more specifics. Mike Collette is of course only an email away!
Kind Regards,
Kumar
-
Hello Kumar,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to contact Mr Colette, but neither the registration as a user to gain contact to the forum was successful, nor the emailed questions. Seems that Betterlight shut down after their move into another location. The site has not been update for two years and no events are planned on the site. So I guess I have to find my information elsewhere.
Sincerely yours,
Gerrit
-
Hello Gerrit,
While production of the Betterlight has stopped, support has certainly not and the forum is still quite active. I am sending you a PM with more details.
Kind Regards,
Kumar
-
Dear Kumar,
much appreciated.
Regards,
Gerrit