Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: fredjeang on February 27, 2010, 02:31:30 pm

Title: flower without dog
Post by: fredjeang on February 27, 2010, 02:31:30 pm
Tokengirl encouraged me yesterday to improve my B&W convertions.
It's because of your dogs, Token!..

I took some flowers today at home, we have a dog weather (in french we say dog weather for really bad weather: Un temps de chien).
and try to work on the convertion with more care.
This is the first pic. Am I on a good way?

[attachment=20548:flower_b...vertion1.jpg]

Thanks for your comments.

Fred.
Title: flower without dog
Post by: tokengirl on February 27, 2010, 03:36:58 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
Am I on a good way?

I think so.  The slight tint is lovely.  I would maybe add a little bit of an "S" curve to bump the contrast some, so that the whites are whiter and you find a tone somewhere in the image that's black or close to black.  Also, since you have a very soft subject matter, I would add a little grain.

Keep in mind that these things are subjective, you can get 10 different opinions from 9 different people.  
Title: flower without dog
Post by: fredjeang on February 27, 2010, 04:13:22 pm
Quote from: tokengirl
I think so.  The slight tint is lovely.  I would maybe add a little bit of an "S" curve to bump the contrast some, so that the whites are whiter and you find a tone somewhere in the image that's black or close to black.  Also, since you have a very soft subject matter, I would add a little grain.

Keep in mind that these things are subjective, you can get 10 different opinions from 9 different people.  
Thank you Tokengirl,
I think I did a real mess in my color profile today trying something with ProColor RGB !?!
Now, the image I uploaded is slightly lighter and less contrasted that when in Photoshop.
The original is closer to the points you made, so it makes me happy.
I need to reload my profile properly.

Cheers,

Fred.
Title: flower without dog
Post by: fredjeang on February 28, 2010, 11:04:15 am
I fixed my profile, now it seems ok. This was how I did first the convertion.
[attachment=20552:flower_b...vertion2.jpg]

I tried to improve with the control points in silver efex pro
on this last one.
[attachment=20555:flower_b...vertion4.jpg]