Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: BryanHansel on February 24, 2010, 10:05:40 am

Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: BryanHansel on February 24, 2010, 10:05:40 am
I recently lost a hard drive. I lost it before I backed-up my most recent changes and keywording to images. I have all the images. My Lightroom catalog is fine and it shows the recent keywording and changes to the images, but none of my backed-up images have a sidecar file written to them. I would like to apply the changes and keywording from my Lightroom catalog to the recent images when I restore them from my back-up location.

Is there a way to have Lightroom apply those changes and keywording to the files once I restore them to a new harddrive?

Thanks.
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 24, 2010, 12:05:50 pm
Quote from: BryanHansel
I recently lost a hard drive. I lost it before I backed-up my most recent changes and keywording to images. I have all the images. My Lightroom catalog is fine and it shows the recent keywording and changes to the images, but none of my backed-up images have a sidecar file written to them. I would like to apply the changes and keywording from my Lightroom catalog to the recent images when I restore them from my back-up location.

Is there a way to have Lightroom apply those changes and keywording to the files once I restore them to a new harddrive?

Thanks.

Don't you just do a "Save Metadata to File"?
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: BryanHansel on February 24, 2010, 05:24:01 pm
I was wondering that, but I don't want to lose any of the changes in the catalog when I restore the lost files.
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 24, 2010, 06:53:17 pm
I would worry about re importing the files or doing an update from the files.  But definitely save a copy of your database before doing anything.  Just in case.
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: DarkPenguin on March 02, 2010, 01:03:25 pm
Did you solve this issue?  If so what did you end up doing?
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: BryanHansel on March 02, 2010, 08:17:09 pm
I haven't, because I've been waiting for the new hard drives to show up. They arrived today, so I'll have a chance to test it out in the next few days. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Title: Lost Hard Drive
Post by: BryanHansel on March 03, 2010, 09:39:07 am
It worked fine. I just put the backed-up images into the same file structure that was in my catalog, and everything worked out fine.