Luminous Landscape Forum
Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on February 23, 2010, 04:38:41 am
-
Werra dug?
Rob C
-
Yesterday I was thinking of the amount of time and energy required to maintain such a site.
It is more or less the opposite of the "still waiting" pic that came in my mind.
I've been working as a web designer for years before been promoted art director (now I rest...) and I remember the stresssss.
I'm not sure if we always realise what is involved behind the scene.
-Writing constantly articles in a resumed form (wich is the most difficult form), thinking of the subjects, managing the articles written by others.
-Every single new article has a new picture or various, so you have to maintain a constant
rate of production and expose them to the world, albeit you are hill, tired, or without inspiration.
-producing the videos and selling them.
-Testing new gear, new softwares, learn how-to and write about them.
-Administate the forum daily, respond to posts, letters etc...
-the travels for working reasons that has to do with the website like Photokina etc...
-all the technical side of a website, including paying the bill to the host
plus
-the one-on-one printings in the gallery
-the printing that are needed for personal works and all what's involved in terms of time.
-the travels for personal purpose
-the works as consultant
-the antartida trips type and their planning
plus
-Family and friends time
-buisiness diner and obligations
-car driving (soon be more fun)
-the amonut of miles walking
-Toronto airport (and all the others) lost of time
and I'm sure I forgot some.
I make calculations and it does not fit. 1 day is 24hours and you need to sleep at least 5 hours a day.
How this is possible?!?
Onces really need to enjoy that to be able to maintain such a website at this level.
Is the clew in perfect organisation?
A special alimentation?
Passion?
Fitness?
Impressive really!
-
Thanks for your appreciation of what goes into making this site what it is. Some aspects are not as hard as you might think, while others are much more so.
On the whole it has worked comfortably for me for the past 11 years. But, we are now in the process if creating a new look along with greater community and expert involvement.
There are some very exciting days ahead.
Michael
-
I can only reiiterate the praise above. Your site has been extremely useful and educative with so much imformation and competent teachers. While I have always found that the design was a bit of an eye sore, I was always happy to look beyond the visual appearance because of the sites content value and great photography.
It is even nicer to hear that one of the very few shortcommings of the site will now be adressed. Having had my own, very small site for quite some time, I know how much time and effort goes into web design and maintance. Thanks a lot for providing all this content for free. I think this is something worth more than applause.
Thanks for your appreciation of what goes into making this site what it is. Some aspects are not as hard as you might think, while others are much more so.
On the whole it has worked comfortably for me for the past 11 years. But, we are now in the process if creating a new look along with greater community and expert involvement.
There are some very exciting days ahead.
Michael
-
Thanks for your appreciation of what goes into making this site what it is. Some aspects are not as hard as you might think, while others are much more so.
On the whole it has worked comfortably for me for the past 11 years. But, we are now in the process if creating a new look along with greater community and expert involvement.
There are some very exciting days ahead.
Michael
I frequently think that you are under-appreciated. LL is my favourite web site. I learn a huge amount here (I hope), from both the articles and the discussions in the forum. Long may it continue.
Jeremy
-
Ditto to all the other expressions of appreciation. LL is the only website I visit every single day (sometimes several times a day).
It's a great resource and a fine community.
Eric