Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: fredjeang on February 22, 2010, 02:39:35 pm

Title: Alone
Post by: fredjeang on February 22, 2010, 02:39:35 pm
Critics welcome
[attachment=20419:alone.jpg]

Thank you,
Fred.
Title: Alone
Post by: RSL on February 22, 2010, 02:56:55 pm
That's a fine shot, Fred. The light's perfect. A slight change and the man would be invisible, but as it is, the light on his hair instantly makes him the subject of the picture. Good shooting!
Title: Alone
Post by: wolfnowl on February 22, 2010, 09:49:30 pm
Nicely done!  I'd be tempted to blur the background slightly, just to keep attention in the foreground.  As it is, I look at the pillars, the man, then go off wondering what the tent is for, etc.

Mike.
Title: Alone
Post by: fredjeang on February 23, 2010, 04:52:01 am
Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, the tent disturbed me when I was on the spot. It was a temporary market.
I may try in an alternative version to blur it a little bit as Mike pointed.

Cheers,

Fred.
Title: Alone
Post by: RSL on February 23, 2010, 06:45:15 am
I think the tent adds an interesting surrealism to the shot. It's the kind of thing HCB liked to do early in his career.
Title: Alone
Post by: popnfresh on February 23, 2010, 01:50:42 pm
I don't have a problem with the tent. But the building on the far right seems superfluous.
Title: Alone
Post by: tokengirl on February 23, 2010, 02:11:00 pm
The tent doesn't bother me either.  I could live without the building on the right, but the rest of the image is strong enough that I can live with it too.  I love the scale of the man vs. the pillars.

I do find the tones to be a little flat - too much gray that is too similar?  Maybe I'm just mentally expecting the tent to be lighter than the sky.
Title: Alone
Post by: popnfresh on February 23, 2010, 06:43:36 pm
If it were my photo I'd crop it this way. Or I'd clone out the building on the right, but that's a very large area to clone out and make it look good.

[attachment=20463:crop1.jpg]
Title: Alone
Post by: fredjeang on February 24, 2010, 10:41:33 am
Thank you for your view points.
Mixing your wised comments, I have an idea, but that may implicates more post-production.
For the moment I rapidly got rid of the building, to see.

[attachment=20487:alone2.jpg]

Think I still prefer the first one as it was.

Cheers,

Fred.
Title: Alone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 24, 2010, 12:58:27 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
Thank you for your view points.
Mixing your wised comments, I have an idea, but that may implicates more post-production.
For the moment I rapidly got rid of the building, to see.

[attachment=20487:alone2.jpg]

Think I still prefer the first one as it was.

Cheers,

Fred.

I prefer the first one, too.


Eric

Title: Alone
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 24, 2010, 02:24:26 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
Thank you for your view points.
Mixing your wised comments, I have an idea, but that may implicates more post-production.
For the moment I rapidly got rid of the building, to see.

[attachment=20487:alone2.jpg]

Think I still prefer the first one as it was.

Cheers,

Fred.
I prefer the first one. Rather than removing the building, I would follow Mike's suggestion and blur it.

Jeremy
Title: Alone
Post by: Rob C on February 25, 2010, 05:23:44 am
Fred, have you noticed that everyone failed to take account of your original intention, which was to point out the lack of public toilet facilities in Madrid?

I mean, not everyone is comfortable in walking into a bar just to use the services and then walk out again without buying at leat one cortado; and buying that coffee just after using the services promotes the need for yet another stop in another bar for the very same reason withing ten minutes of solving the original problem. Of course, a younger man wouldn't have faced this issue, but that's life.

Rob C