Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: teddillard on February 22, 2010, 07:01:40 am
-
We just got the press release last night:
http://www.h2hreviews.com/blog/Phase-One-r...e-One-V5-1.html (http://www.h2hreviews.com/blog/Phase-One-releases-Capture-One-V5-1.html)
The key update from where I sit? 2 words. Spotting Tool.
Added camera support, yadda yadda. I'm downloading it right now, (uh, 379 some-odd MB? ...put a pot of coffee on.) and if there's anything astounding I'll update here.
update: Spot Tool works. No controls other than size. Still don't see how the Dust Tool works at all (i.e., still useless).
-
Still don't see how the Dust Tool works at all (i.e., still useless).
dust tool works as it intended = removing dust on sensor from the picture... to make it easy for you to notice how it is working do take a shot of a white ceiling @ something like f22 - you probably will see a dust on sensor... then you can clearly see how dust tool is removing it... it is tuned to remove only something that looks like a little bit darker spot w/ somewhat blurred/fuzzy borders, which is how the dust looks like in your shots.
-
dust tool works as it intended = removing dust on sensor from the picture... to make it easy for you to notice how it is working do take a shot of a white ceiling @ something like f22 - you probably will see a dust on sensor... then you can clearly see how dust tool is removing it... it is tuned to remove only something that looks like a little bit darker spot w/ somewhat blurred/fuzzy borders, which is how the dust looks like in your shots.
Well, thanks, I do get the theory... never been able to get it to work in practice.
-
Well, thanks, I do get the theory... never been able to get it to work in practice.
I specifically tried that 5.1 before posting above - it is removing dust spots, but anything above certain threshold in darkness or w/ pronounced/contrast borders it will not touch as it will not consider that looking like a dust... here is a small screen shot of a spot that dust tool will remove in C1 5.1 :
(http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9725/dustl.jpg)
-
I just tried both the dust and spot versions and it really does work. I first tried the dust on well dust spot in areas of the sky, then I tried to clean up a small bird in the distance - a spec really and it didn't work so I just changed it from dust to spot and the bird was gone. Then I tried small zits on a model shot with spot and that went great so I tried to clean up some red blotches and that worked as well as some shinny highlight spots on the models face. Actually I'm pretty impressed. You don't have to tell it where to take the source from. There was one zit really close to a strand of hair and I deliberately put the ring touching the hair and it did not mess this up or bleed in the darker color as lightroom or PS would.
-
I just tried both the dust and spot versions and it really does work. I first tried the dust on well dust spot in areas of the sky, then I tried to clean up a small bird in the distance - a spec really and it didn't work so I just changed it from dust to spot and the bird was gone. Then I tried small zits on a model shot with spot and that went great so I tried to clean up some red blotches and that worked as well as some shinny highlight spots on the models face. Actually I'm pretty impressed. You don't have to tell it where to take the source from. There was one zit really close to a strand of hair and I deliberately put the ring touching the hair and it did not mess this up or bleed in the darker color as lightroom or PS would.
The Clarity tool used to go from zero upward.....now zero is in the center and it go be adjusted into the negative range as well as upward. It works well and I've found that adjustments in the negative range are helpful on more images than I would have guessed. Big improvement for my work.