Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on February 21, 2010, 06:41:14 pm

Title: An abstract series
Post by: dwood on February 21, 2010, 06:41:14 pm
I've been wanting to work on a series of abstracts and had the opportunity to mess with this a bit today. All comments are welcome. Extra points if you can guess what the subject matter is, although the last one may give it away.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2801/4377221102_eef13f7e9c_o.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2733/4377220010_521431bc27_o.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4377211200_dbd903530a_o.jpg)
Title: An abstract series
Post by: wolfnowl on February 22, 2010, 02:36:49 am
Nice work!  I prefer the first one for the symmetry, but the last one does give it away (my lips are sealed).

Mike.
Title: An abstract series
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 22, 2010, 03:41:22 am
Quote from: wolfnowl
Nice work!  I prefer the first one for the symmetry, but the last one does give it away (my lips are sealed).

Mike.
I agree. I'd go with the first one was well, partly, I suspect, because it's the most abstract.

Jeremy
Title: An abstract series
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 22, 2010, 08:47:01 am
All three are good, but I prefer the first and third.

Subject matter seems pretty clear to me, even in the first one, but it doesn't matter to the images, IMHO.

Nice work!

Eric

Title: An abstract series
Post by: francois on February 22, 2010, 09:04:34 am
All three images are very pleasing, elegant. I can't decide between #1 and #3 although, in the end, my favourite is #3 - for now.
Title: An abstract series
Post by: dwood on February 22, 2010, 10:52:01 am
Thanks for the kind comments folks. Geez, I thought the subject would be a little tougher to discern. You guys are good.
Title: An abstract series
Post by: ARD on February 22, 2010, 07:12:53 pm
Quote from: dwood
Thanks for the kind comments folks. Geez, I thought the subject would be a little tougher to discern. You guys are good.

They are, but none of them actually said what it is lol  
Title: An abstract series
Post by: dwood on February 22, 2010, 09:21:40 pm
Quote from: ARD
They are, but none of them actually said what it is lol  
True enough, ARD. I should have updated this earlier with a description.

These images were shot in a large tidal pool on the coast of Maine. The wispy looking horizontal streaks are sunlight reflecting off the crests of wavelets in the pool. The black area is the water in the pool and the rest is seaweed. The fun thing about making these shots, (for me, anyway) is that the vegetation is always on the move. Fire off a bunch of frames and you can capture some really interesting movements/patterns.
Title: An abstract series
Post by: wolfnowl on February 22, 2010, 09:24:05 pm
Being a biologist type person, I've invested more than a few hours wearing waders, checking under rocks for aquatic invertebrates, etc.  Unfair advantage?  Perhaps!  

Mike.
Title: An abstract series
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 22, 2010, 09:35:40 pm
Quote from: ARD
They are, but none of them actually said what it is lol  
Yeah. We're like the blind men describing an elephant. We're all saying, "Oh, i know what that is!" but we're not telling what we think it is.

OK, I'll stick my neck out: Reflections on water (with waves). And if I'm all wet (ouch), I don't mind; I still like the images.

Eric

P.S. Oops! Doug and Mike posted theirs while I was writing mine. I missed the seaweed, but as I look back at the pictures, it's pretty obvious. Very nice!




Title: An abstract series
Post by: jule on February 27, 2010, 05:37:47 am
I like the first image the best because of the balance in the abstraction.

As a lover of water abstactions and have been exploring them for a couple of years myself, I have found the best ones do not reveal the subject matter which is why I would have binned the third image...just because it destroys the element of mystery and sometimes stops the viewer once they recognise what they are seeing.

Julie