Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Craig Arnold on February 18, 2010, 05:15:20 pm

Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: Craig Arnold on February 18, 2010, 05:15:20 pm
I have manage to lose or delete about 100 images that were once in a folder on disk. Very annoying because there were a few nice shots in there.

After the "Where the **** are my pictures" tutorial I was re-arranging my 35k-odd pictures, and to be honest I'm slightly surprised I didn't have more problems than I do.

My backup drive has the same folder, also empty. *shrug*

BUT - the previews are still there in LR. I know I likely won't be able to use them for prints or anything, but just being able to export the JPG previews would mean that at least I could view them on screen.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks,
Craig
Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: wolfnowl on February 18, 2010, 10:52:39 pm
Not to my knowledge.  I don't think LR stores the previews as image files, just digital data.

Mike.
Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: john beardsworth on February 19, 2010, 04:05:27 am
There's a tool called LRViewer that can access the previews.
Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: Ed Blagden on February 19, 2010, 07:46:58 am
This is a Kludge, but you could just display each preview on full screen and then take a screen-shot and paste into something else.  Not very elegant I admit!
Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: Craig Arnold on February 19, 2010, 03:17:23 pm
Quote from: johnbeardy
There's a tool called LRViewer that can access the previews.

That sounds very promising. Thanks. I shall download it and see how I get on.
Title: Export Previews - Originals lost
Post by: Craig Arnold on February 20, 2010, 07:25:41 am
Fantastic!!

Thank you so much - LRViewer worked great, and allowed me to recover jpg files from the previews ranging from 1Mb to 3Mb in size. Even good enough for modest sized prints.

I am very grateful. I have attached one to show why. :-)