Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ChrisS on February 16, 2010, 02:36:08 pm

Title: HP B9180 misses first part of print - help!
Post by: ChrisS on February 16, 2010, 02:36:08 pm
My 9180 frequently misses the first part of each print. I've had the printer nearly 2 years and this is a relatively new issue, and it comes and goes (and it's been an issue all today). It is the leading edge of the print that is missed, as in bottom left of the attached picture. The missing band is about 3mm wide and it fades in toward the top of the print.

[attachment=20304:IMG_1255.jpg]

Please help - this is costing a lot of money and I need to deliver the prints asap.

Thanks

Chris
Title: HP B9180 misses first part of print - help!
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 16, 2010, 06:58:08 pm
Quote from: ChrisS
My 9180 frequently misses the first part of each print. I've had the printer nearly 2 years and this is a relatively new issue, and it comes and goes (and it's been an issue all today). It is the leading edge of the print that is missed, as in bottom left of the attached picture. The missing band is about 3mm wide and it fades in toward the top of the print.

[attachment=20304:IMG_1255.jpg]

Please help - this is costing a lot of money and I need to deliver the prints asap.

Thanks

Chris

I get this, too.  The fix, so I'm told, is to do a head alignment.  That has worked for me in the past.  It isn't working now.  I suspect I need to buy new print heads.  If you decide to buy new heads I would suggest buying the b8850 (or whatever the cheaper version of the 9180 is) and harvest the heads and print cartridges as the 8850 is like $350 and at $30 an ink and $60 a head you come out well ahead.

But try the head alignment first.

Don't forget the B9100 group at Yahoo! Groups.  This HAS been mentioned in the past.  Maybe people know more now.
Title: HP B9180 misses first part of print - help!
Post by: ChrisS on February 17, 2010, 04:19:32 am
I tried re-alignment twice but to no effect. I then tried switching the printer on and off a few times, allowing it to service them each time, and had to replace an ink, and now it seems to be OK. I have no idea why, and have the feeling the issue will return.

Many thanks for the suggestion - if it returns, I'll try it all again!

Chris
Title: HP B9180 misses first part of print - help!
Post by: DarkPenguin on February 18, 2010, 09:57:55 pm
Quote from: ChrisS
I tried re-alignment twice but to no effect. I then tried switching the printer on and off a few times, allowing it to service them each time, and had to replace an ink, and now it seems to be OK. I have no idea why, and have the feeling the issue will return.

Many thanks for the suggestion - if it returns, I'll try it all again!

Chris

I fixed it for mine.  I tossed my LG with 17% of its ink left.  Popped a new one in and life is good.  That kind of irritates me.
Title: HP B9180 misses first part of print - help!
Post by: ChrisS on February 19, 2010, 11:47:49 am
Quote from: DarkPenguin
I fixed it for mine.  I tossed my LG with 17% of its ink left.  Popped a new one in and life is good.  That kind of irritates me.

Yes - the issue seems to relate to having a low ink. Could be expensive...

Cheers

Chris