Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Andres Bonilla on February 16, 2010, 12:43:52 am

Title: New R1900 questions
Post by: Andres Bonilla on February 16, 2010, 12:43:52 am
Ok, after many years of using my Epson 1270 it finally died. I just got an R1900, it came with a link to Epsons ICC profiles. My question is should I calibrate my system first with my also new X-Rite software and then install the profiles? This would be my first time profiling my monitor, scanner and printer; so I am thinking I should calibrate first and then install the Epson new profiles.
Any advice would be appreciate it.

Andres
Title: New R1900 questions
Post by: dchew on February 16, 2010, 07:18:18 am
It doesn't matter what order you load profiles, so go ahead and load them.  I would:

1. Load the profiles
2. Calibrate your monitor
3. Print something using the Epson profile matched to the paper
4. Evaluate the brightness of your computer screen and work environment vs. print output, adjust as necessary and reprint.
5. Profile the printer/paper combo
6. Print the same thing using your profile

Of course the order of 1 and 2 makes no difference, but I think the order of the other stuff is relatively important because you learn about the effects of screen brightness and the effects of your custom profile.  

My experience has been the Epson profiles are very good, and the effects of custom profiles are very subtle for Epson papers on Epson printers.  I don't have your specific printer, however.

Dave

Title: New R1900 questions
Post by: Andres Bonilla on February 16, 2010, 10:23:38 pm
Quote from: dchew
It doesn't matter what order you load profiles, so go ahead and load them.  I would:

1. Load the profiles
2. Calibrate your monitor
3. Print something using the Epson profile matched to the paper
4. Evaluate the brightness of your computer screen and work environment vs. print output, adjust as necessary and reprint.
5. Profile the printer/paper combo
6. Print the same thing using your profile

Of course the order of 1 and 2 makes no difference, but I think the order of the other stuff is relatively important because you learn about the effects of screen brightness and the effects of your custom profile.  

My experience has been the Epson profiles are very good, and the effects of custom profiles are very subtle for Epson papers on Epson printers.  I don't have your specific printer, however.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I will try that.