Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: William Walker on February 15, 2010, 07:28:21 am

Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: William Walker on February 15, 2010, 07:28:21 am
Hi,

I apologise in advance if this question has been dealt with previously - I have not found the exact answer I need!

I have been printing quite successfully in colour using the above-mentioned printer, an iMac 24" through the Windows partition (ref: "Confessions of a Greenhorn" post). I have used the Colormunki for display calibration and for making profiles. I am quite happy with all my prints.

I am now about to start doing a few Black & White prints and would like to clarify the following :- does one use the same paper profile for B&W that you do for colour? I have the "Camera to Print" video and should be able to work things out from here on.

Many thanks
William
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on February 15, 2010, 08:17:04 am
Quote from: WillytheWalks
Hi,

I apologise in advance if this question has been dealt with previously - I have not found the exact answer I need!

I have been printing quite successfully in colour using the above-mentioned printer, an iMac 24" through the Windows partition (ref: "Confessions of a Greenhorn" post). I have used the Colormunki for display calibration and for making profiles. I am quite happy with all my prints.

I am now about to start doing a few Black & White prints and would like to clarify the following :- does one use the same paper profile for B&W that you do for colour? I have the "Camera to Print" video and should be able to work things out from here on.

Many thanks
William
See Eric Chan's Website (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html).   While it addresses the 3800, you can extrapolate things to the new 3880.  If you want to get maximal performance for B&W prints you need to print using the Epson ABW driver that is accessed through the print dialogue. You will not use the color print profiles that you have prepared.  Eric does not have ABW profiles on the website for the 3880 yet and as noted here (http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41544) he is working on some for the new printer model.

In the meantime, if you follow his approach you will get stunning B&W prints!!

Alan
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: Howard on February 15, 2010, 05:07:46 pm
Here you go....hot off the presses.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Ep...bwprofiles.html (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3880/abwprofiles.html)

Howard

Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: William Walker on February 16, 2010, 09:30:15 am
Thanks Guys - I am getting my paper tomorrow (Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique - as per the review on this site!) I am sure all will go well!
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: William Walker on February 25, 2010, 05:17:55 am
Alan, you were right! The prints are really beautiful.

I don't have anything to compare it with but, along with the review on this website and the results I see, the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique is stunning! The texture of the finish is amazing.

Thanks again to all concerned.

William
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on February 25, 2010, 09:58:37 am
Quote from: WillytheWalks
Alan, you were right! The prints are really beautiful.

I don't have anything to compare it with but, along with the review on this website and the results I see, the Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique is stunning! The texture of the finish is amazing.

Thanks again to all concerned.

William
Glad to hear!!  About 40% of my printing is B&W and I'm very pleased with the output.  I've just ordered a 3880 as an upgrade to my 2880 as I want the ability to print 17 inches wide as necessary.  It's good to see that Eric is getting ABW profiles done for that printer now.
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: loonsailor on March 05, 2010, 12:04:47 pm
I've printed a few monochromes on Canson Baryta on my 3880 with good results.  I used the Epson profile, since I don't see an ABW profile for that paper anywhere.  It works pretty well, but I wonder if a paper-specific profile would be even better.  I have a colormunki, but I'm not sure how one would create an ABW profile with it.  How does Eric Chan do it?  Can I do it with my ColorMunki?
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on March 05, 2010, 01:35:51 pm
Quote from: loonsailor
I've printed a few monochromes on Canson Baryta on my 3880 with good results.  I used the Epson profile, since I don't see an ABW profile for that paper anywhere.  It works pretty well, but I wonder if a paper-specific profile would be even better.  I have a colormunki, but I'm not sure how one would create an ABW profile with it.  How does Eric Chan do it?  Can I do it with my ColorMunki?
You cannot create an ABW profile with a ColorMunki.  You could refine a color profile using the ColorMunki process but it would not be superior to what Eric can do.  He has a special target of blacks and grays that is used to create the profile.  Also you should go to his site to see the printing process in the absence of an ABW profile; icc profiles are not effective when printing using that driver.
Title: Profiles and B&W Printing
Post by: loonsailor on March 05, 2010, 02:09:45 pm
Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
You cannot create an ABW profile with a ColorMunki.  You could refine a color profile using the ColorMunki process but it would not be superior to what Eric can do.  He has a special target of blacks and grays that is used to create the profile.  Also you should go to his site to see the printing process in the absence of an ABW profile; icc profiles are not effective when printing using that driver.

Thanks!