Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: DanPBrown on February 13, 2010, 08:57:24 pm
-
Trying out a new lens, OM 20mm f/2 macro. This shot is about 7.5X.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
(http://www.danbrownphotography.com/galleries/albums/userpics/_DPB5033.jpg)
-
Always wondered how you get a shot like this, could you do a write up on it?
Always impressed by macro of this type, amazing what a snow flake looks like
-
Well done!
Mike.
-
Always wondered how you get a shot like this, could you do a write up on it?
Seconded. I'd be fascinated. Amazing shot.
Jeremy
-
Seconded. I'd be fascinated. Amazing shot.
Jeremy
Thanks. Here is write up I did last week about it.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com/blog/ (http://www.danbrownphotography.com/blog/)
-
Thanks
-
Thanks. Here is write up I did last week about it.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com/blog/ (http://www.danbrownphotography.com/blog/)
Thanks. Sounds simple but I bet it's not!
Jeremy
-
Thanks. Sounds simple but I bet it's not!
Jeremy
The most difficult technical aspect is the lighting, otherwise it is finding a good snowflake. This year has only produced one good storm where I live. I can remember one storm a few years ago. I was at work and it started to snow very gently. The flakes were huge and perfect. I left work and raced home. I can remember seeing the flakes on my windshield and marveling at their perfection. Of course as soon as I got home it stopped. It was one of those fleeting snowfalls that produces no accumulation and lasts just a short time.
I would like to try a high quality microscope objective at some point instead of a camera lens.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
-
Dan thanks again.
Nature always has a way of amazing us. I like what your doing. showing us the little things in life. Tim
-
Beautiful !
And thanks for the writeup in your blog.
Cheers
~Chris
-
Dan - nice work. We've got plenty of snowflakes out here in Tahoe - you should come check it out. I enjoyed your blog, too. Some good reading there.
-
Dan - Stunning and mesmerising. How it's done is fascinating. Everything comes to him who waits.
Cheers,
Seamus
-
Dan, which macro lens do you use, with/without extension tubes?
Thanks
-
Dan,
thanks for the demos and particularly for the detailed descriptions. They look great!
Gabor
-
Dan, which macro lens do you use, with/without extension tubes?
Thanks
I've used the Canon mpe65 macro without tubes for most of my snowflakes. Currently I use an Olympus 20mm f/2 macro. The shot above was with the OM and about 60mm of extension tubes for a mag of 7.5X.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
-
I've used the Canon mpe65 macro without tubes for most of my snowflakes. Currently I use an Olympus 20mm f/2 macro. The shot above was with the OM and about 60mm of extension tubes for a mag of 7.5X.
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)
It looks like a religious symbol, with the colour and orientation, and I do not like it as much as the others. I guess it's the orange that I don't take to. But here I am talking personal preference, because, there is no question, all your snowflake shots are well done.
Re you comments on the OM lens, do you mean that you can place an OM lens on Canon camera?
JMR
-
It looks like a religious symbol, with the colour and orientation, and I do not like it as much as the others. I guess it's the orange that I don't take to. But here I am talking personal preference, because, there is no question, all your snowflake shots are well done.
Re you comments on the OM lens, do you mean that you can place an OM lens on Canon camera?
JMR
I agree about the orange color. I was rushing to get outside and photograph a fleeting storm, in my haste I grabbed a green and red filter. That is all I had to work with.
A Canon camera can be easily adapted to the following lenses; Nikon, Olympus, Contax Yashica, Leica R. Pentax is little more difficult, Minolta requires surgery. Some medium format optics can be used too.
The mount on a Canon lens is a larger diameter and sits closer to the sensor than most brands. Because of this an adapter can be made to sit between the lens and camera. These alt lenses can't be auto focused and they have to be used via stop down metering and photographing. If this interests you then you should visit this forum,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55 (http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/55)
Dan
http://www.danbrownphotography.com (http://www.danbrownphotography.com)