Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on February 13, 2010, 06:09:56 am

Title: scratch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 13, 2010, 06:09:56 am
It's pretty easy to tell the sex! Any guesses as to what it is? Taken in Kenya a few years ago.

[attachment=20241:beast.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: scratch
Post by: francois on February 13, 2010, 06:35:18 am
I'm no specialist but could this be a Lelwel hartebeest?
Title: scratch
Post by: Dick Roadnight on February 13, 2010, 08:26:40 am
Quote from: kikashi
It's pretty easy to tell the sex! Any guesses as to what it is? Taken in Kenya a few years ago.

Jeremy
It is the shape of an Eland, but they are normally grey.
Title: scratch
Post by: Ed Blagden on February 13, 2010, 10:53:35 am
That's a Topi (Damaliscus korrigum).  I'm guessing you found him somewhere in or near the Mara; that is the only place in Kenya where this species is reasonably abundant.

Ed
Title: scratch
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 13, 2010, 11:28:03 am
Quote from: Ed Blagden
That's a Topi (Damaliscus korrigum).  I'm guessing you found him somewhere in or near the Mara; that is the only place in Kenya where this species is reasonably abundant.

Ed
Thanks - that's the name I was trying (and failing) to remember. It was indeed in the Mara. I was on honeymoon!

Jeremy
Title: scratch
Post by: Ed Blagden on February 13, 2010, 03:52:37 pm
Quote from: kikashi
Thanks - that's the name I was trying (and failing) to remember. It was indeed in the Mara. I was on honeymoon!

Jeremy
Hope you enjoyed your holiday here.  The Topi is one of my favourites.  Despite their absurd appearance - made of the unwanted bits from God's spare parts bin - they have a solemn dignity about them.

Ed