Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Kit-V on February 12, 2010, 09:38:15 am

Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Kit-V on February 12, 2010, 09:38:15 am
I just connected an external display to my MacBook Pro & I'm curious how you PSE veterans set up your workspace. For example, do you use one display for your image & the other for the palettes, tool bar, photo bin, etc.?

I realize that everyone's "system" is somewhat unique & evolves with experience.

Thank you very much.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: AdrianRogers on February 15, 2010, 08:07:00 am
By ACR I presume you mean Photoshop as well? ACR is only a single window program as far as I'm aware. I never use it mind!

In Photoshop I have my largest screen showing a full screen full bleed of the image im working on, with my secondary (My last set-up was 30" for image, 24" for panels) holding all my most used panels fully expanded, with a nice tall layers panel at the side of the screen closest to the 30" (as that's what I tend to be checking most).

It's a great way of working if you're familiar with shortcuts or use techniques that often require long stints using the same tool (D&B for example), meaning you only use the secondary for reference and rarely for actually clicking something.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Kit-V on February 15, 2010, 03:04:47 pm
Yes, both ACR & (in my case) the Editor window for Photoshop Elements 8. Thank you for the response.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 15, 2010, 06:07:44 pm
I have the 24" LED display for my MacBook Pro, and personally I use clamshell mode .. I leave it closed.  I like one larger screen instead of 2 separate ones. I think the video performs a little better as well as keeps the fan speed down since the video card isn't driving as much real estate.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Kit-V on February 15, 2010, 08:12:53 pm
Quote from: Wayne Fox
I have the 24" LED display for my MacBook Pro, and personally I use clamshell mode .. I leave it closed.  I like one larger screen instead of 2 separate ones. I think the video performs a little better as well as keeps the fan speed down since the video card isn't driving as much real estate.

Wayne: "Clamshell" mode? Are you refering to the "extended desktop" mode"  --  i.e. using the 2 display as one large desktop?
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: AdrianRogers on February 15, 2010, 09:02:31 pm
I believe he is referring to using the laptop with the screen closed (but the computer still running) and only outputting a monitor signal to the single external 24" display.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 16, 2010, 01:35:30 am
Quote from: AdrianRogers
I believe he is referring to using the laptop with the screen closed (but the computer still running) and only outputting a monitor signal to the single external 24" display.

correct.  There are occasions I open the laptop and use both screens, but typically this is when doing non photo work, email on one screen, pages or numbers on the other.
Title: ACR & Dual Displays
Post by: Kit-V on February 16, 2010, 10:27:00 am
I understand. Thanks.