Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: tgipson on February 08, 2010, 03:04:24 pm

Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 08, 2010, 03:04:24 pm
I have had one or order for about 6 weeks and it is still on backorder. Amazon appears to have a couple, otherwise it seems to be a product on paper only for now. Does anyone have any insight into Epson's difficulties delivering the 4880?
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: BobShram on February 08, 2010, 04:42:25 pm
Got mine 4 weeks ago, but understand I was very lucky to be at the right site at the right time, there's alot of people waiting I think.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 08, 2010, 05:11:49 pm
The folks I ordered it from have been great. It all just seems a little odd to have this kind of thing with Epson. I've got a deadline to start doing a bunch of printing for an upcoming exhibit and hate to consider moving to Canon just to meet my short term needs. Nothing against Canon at all; I've just been in the Epson mode for years.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: BobShram on February 08, 2010, 10:24:26 pm
Don't think it is Epson fault though it becomes their problem. I understand that the supplier of a chip that the printer uses along with other printers of different makers can't supply them for some reason. Thats what I heared but of can't conferm.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 08, 2010, 11:29:48 pm
Quote from: BobShram
Don't think it is Epson fault though it becomes their problem. I understand that the supplier of a chip that the printer uses along with other printers of different makers can't supply them for some reason. Thats what I heared but of can't conferm.
That seems feasible as it seems out of character for them.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 09, 2010, 06:44:33 pm
Quote from: BobShram
Don't think it is Epson fault though it becomes their problem. I understand that the supplier of a chip that the printer uses along with other printers of different makers can't supply them for some reason. Thats what I heared but of can't conferm.
I just got a call from the folks from whom I ordered my printer and they said the problem was with a chip that affected the 4880, 7880, and 9880 printers and that the chip maker was slowly catching up. So you were right about the basis of the problem. Not much to do but hang out for a while and take some more pictures.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: AveryRagan on February 10, 2010, 07:14:22 pm
Mine also arrived about 4 weeks ago.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: BobShram on February 10, 2010, 07:27:27 pm
I think that chip also affected a few other companys as well. I hope you don't have too much longer to wait, I love my machine, I trust it to do what I ask and leave it to do it's stuff.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: ternst on February 11, 2010, 06:18:53 pm
Mine was delivered about two months after I ordered it from IT Supplies - the rebate has never arrived though...
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: Bill Jaynes on February 13, 2010, 02:15:22 pm
Quote from: tgipson
I have had one or order for about 6 weeks and it is still on backorder. Amazon appears to have a couple, otherwise it seems to be a product on paper only for now. Does anyone have any insight into Epson's difficulties delivering the 4880?

Mine's coming Monday from Inkjet Art in Salt Lake via Missoula. I ordered <<at the very last minute [12/30] to get the $500 rebate>>. So, yeah, about 6 weeks. It was on backorder in December but still eligible for the rebate.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: Picture Salon on February 23, 2010, 10:56:22 am
Quote from: tgipson
I have had one or order for about 6 weeks and it is still on backorder. Amazon appears to have a couple, otherwise it seems to be a product on paper only for now. Does anyone have any insight into Epson's difficulties delivering the 4880?

I have one available for sale. I'm asking $1,500 and that includes almost a full set of large cassettes. It is a little over 6 months old. Hardly used. We're in Madison, WI. Interested? Shipping might cost another $150.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 23, 2010, 11:19:39 am
Quote from: Picture Salon
I have one available for sale. I'm asking $1,500 and that includes almost a full set of large cassettes. It is a little over 6 months old. Hardly used. We're in Madison, WI. Interested? Shipping might cost another $150.

Just got mine yesterday, but thanks.
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: jjlphoto on February 24, 2010, 08:28:30 am
Quote from: Bill Jaynes
.....I ordered <<at the very last minute [12/30] to get the $500 rebate>>. So, yeah, about 6 weeks. It was on backorder in December but still eligible for the rebate.

You ordered your as late as December? I ordered and paid for mine in September. Dealer gave me two stackable rebates, $300 and $500. Still no printer. Does anyone know if these are dropped shipped from Epson, or shipped to dealers first?
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: tgipson on February 24, 2010, 08:52:37 am
Quote from: jjlphoto
You ordered your as late as December? I ordered and paid for mine in September. Dealer gave me two stackable rebates, $300 and $500. Still no printer. Does anyone know if these are dropped shipped from Epson, or shipped to dealers first?
I know my dealer only got a few that were not shipped from their warehouse. I think I was obnoxious enough they may have moved me up on the list to get me off their email server!!
Title: Is anyone getting their Epson 4880?
Post by: ternst on February 24, 2010, 07:53:05 pm
Mine was shipped direct from Epson. Had to "ship" it twice as the first one never arrived.