Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: fredjeang on February 08, 2010, 01:33:46 pm

Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: fredjeang on February 08, 2010, 01:33:46 pm
Hi,

Does anybody has tried the film grain simulation tool in Adobe lightroom 3 ?

Thank you.

Fred.
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: David Saffir on February 08, 2010, 03:12:13 pm
no, I have not. There is an excellent plugin from Alien Skin called Exposure

David

Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: tokengirl on February 08, 2010, 06:07:06 pm
I've tried it.  It's ok, but it doesn't hold a candle to the grain tool in Nik's Silver Efex Pro.
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 08, 2010, 07:49:32 pm
Quote from: fredjeang
Does anybody has tried the film grain simulation tool in Adobe lightroom 3 ?

Why add grain in the first place? I'm serious.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: tokengirl on February 08, 2010, 08:13:38 pm
Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Why add grain in the first place? I'm serious.

Cheers,
Bart

Because I like the way it looks (in some photos).
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: David Sutton on February 08, 2010, 11:06:26 pm
Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Why add grain in the first place? I'm serious.

Cheers,
Bart
And to cover up artifacts. Such as after uprezzing and then sharpening.
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: Rhossydd on February 09, 2010, 07:14:27 am
Yes, I've tried the grain option and really like it for some situations......
Quote from: BartvanderWolf
Why add grain in the first place? I'm serious.
It's really good at breaking down the 'digital' look of images that have been processed close to their limits.
It's not something I'd use very often, but has really helped with some troublesome images in LR3b.

Then some people will also just like the more analogue look of an image with some grain it in too. Sometimes digital imagery just just be too clean.

Paul
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: barryfitzgerald on February 11, 2010, 03:26:35 pm
I still shoot film, so I like grain myself  

This tool is ok, maybe a bit crude..it's actually not that easy to get the film look for print, some software such as exposure 2 is fairly good at this though..Of course grain is only one aspect of film, you cannot really turn a digital into a film capture, they are uniquely different, esp in the tonality and DR dept. Still, not sure this is worth putting it, I'd like that distortion controls to make it over this grain control one!

Have to say this, wandering a bit, I hope the Adobe folks are looking at Apple's new offering, and give LR3 the boost it needs.
Title: Film grain simulation tool
Post by: MarkIV on February 18, 2010, 12:35:07 pm
I think adding grain after enlarging an image and sharpening it might be better than at the native size. Also locally instead of globally.