Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: David Mantripp on February 07, 2010, 04:59:34 pm
-
Hi -
I've been having a problem recently with corrupted Photoshop files. The effect is always the same: the image has a horizontal coloured stripe across it, maybe a few tens of pixels, usually yellow or purple. I discover this usually from previews in iView or Bridge. Sometimes Photoshop can open the file, sometimes not. When it can't, then so far Apple Preview, or indeed Adobe Fireworks can, but the corruption remains. In those that I can open, the culprit so far has always been an adjustment layer.
The files are all stored on an external array of Iomega firewire drives. I've no issue with any files yet apart from PSD - no TIFFs, raw of any kind. The issue is not tied to a particular drive. And of course it only ever effects highly rated images....
Are PSD files particular susceptible to this kind of thing ? It's news to me if they are - I've been working with Photoshop since somewhere south of 1990, and honestrly I can't recall anything like this before ....
Colour me puzzled. And a bit worried.
David
-
I had a similar problem a year ago with CS3 PSD and tif files. I was getting a line as you described in the image mine tended to be light green. These files that were stored on
an internal raid array (3Warre and WD hard drives) under Windows XP. The file that I had backed up to DVD did not have the problem so I assumed I was getting some form of corruption
during the write on the array.
My fix was to back up the entire array, delete it, and do a low level format on each drive. I reinstalled the array and the problem disappeared.
I agree it was a real problem and wa driving me crazy for a while.
Paul Caldwell
-
If it's not the drive, it may be your computer's memory gone bad. I had the same effect recently, and after many hours of trial and error it turned out to be a faulty memory chip. If you are on a Mac, "Rember" is the software you need to check the memory.