Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on February 05, 2010, 03:57:07 pm
-
I think I posted the color version of this once before, but today I made a grayscale conversion with Nik's Silver Efex Pro followed by sharpening with their Sharpener Pro. I'm really happy with the results and I like the B&W better than the color version.
[attachment=20018:Sunday_M...TX___B_W.jpg]
-
What, no gunslingers? All seriousness aside, it's nicely done. Curious about the brick wall on the right edge that's overlapping the front of the adjacent section...
Mike.
-
I like this treatment. There is a certain mood about it. Gloomy and gritty? Have you done a version with noise added? This type of image deserves to have different versions processed. I remember your colour version from I think a couple of months ago. This is better!
-
Mike, I just went back into my right-off-the-camera DVD for the trip down from Colorado to see if I had a shot that included the building to the right. Unfortunately I don't have anything that took in more of that monstrosity to the right. It's a little building that I'd guess is about the same age as the main building -- maybe a bit younger -- that was vandalized by being covered with a brick front, I'd guess in the forties, to make it look "modern." It was Sunday morning and there was no one on the street I could talk to to get more information.
Here's an example of the same kind of thing from Colorado Springs. That's the Mining Exchange Building, built in 1902. In 1963 they covered the beautiful arches, one of which you can see in this picture, all the architectural details like the ones you can see above the arch, and the rest of the fine marble with some monotonous flat yellow marble panels to make the thing more "modern." Now there's a crew removing the yellow marble covering and exposing the original building -- at huge expense. It's going to end up being a very nice luxury hotel.
[attachment=20062:Mining_Exchange.jpg]
Stamper, You're right. I've tried several grayscale variations. I like this high structure one best.
-
I think I posted the color version of this once before, but today I made a grayscale conversion with Nik's Silver Efex Pro followed by sharpening with their Sharpener Pro. I'm really happy with the results and I like the B&W better than the color version.
Nice conversion! I've been using Silver Efex Pro since it came out. People say there's nothing you can do in Silver Efex that you can't do in Photoshop directly, and I have to admit that the B&W adjustment layer and the B&W tab in Camera RAW, with their multiple color sliders give very good control over how the B&W conversion will look. However, the ease and intuitive approach of Silver Efex, coupled with the structure adjustment and all of the nuance possible using the right panel after selecting a preset as a starting point, makes Silver Efex a winner for me. I particularly like what I often use as a final embellishment, the ability to burn in the edges with control over the opacity, size and transition effects, individually on each edge.
I like the variety of tones in your image, which pulls me into the scene.
-
Hi Russ,
I've been looking on your webpage where there is a lot of wonderfull B&W. It would be interesting to read your experience about Silver Efex and the sharpening Pro 3, as I supose you were using Photoshop in most of these web images. Are their worth a serious consideration for B&W?
Thank you