Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Matthew Wilks on February 04, 2010, 11:55:24 pm

Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Matthew Wilks on February 04, 2010, 11:55:24 pm
I need to export files that are exactly 2166 x 1600 pixels.  This would be easy to do if all of my photos were the same orientation, but I shoot both landscape and portrait during any given assignment.  The ratio is 1.35:1.0 and I entered this into the custom crop ratio, but when I export and set the maximum dimension to 2166 the short side ends up at 1605.  I could separate out the portrait orientation photos from the landscape photos and process them separately specifying the exact dimensions during export, but I would like to eliminate that extra step if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: wolfnowl on February 05, 2010, 02:29:22 am
Matthew:  You can't 'crop' on export.  You can only export to a given dimension.  So, assuming that you have cropped your images (in the develop module) to a 1.35:1 ratio, when you export you simply set the maximum size in the export window to 2166x2166.  Landscape images will be exported as 2166x1600 pixels and portrait images will be exported at 1600x2166 pixels.

Mike.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: eliedinur on February 05, 2010, 05:34:45 am
2166/1600 is not 1.35. It is 1.35375. In the custom crop dialog you can enter up to seven digits, so either enter this more accurate value or simply enter the original numbers 2100 and 1600.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Nick Rains on February 05, 2010, 07:17:58 am
You can set a precise pixel dimension in ACR, but not LR. The crop tool in ACR can be set to any pixel dimension - if you open all the images in ACR, set up a custom crop and crop one image you can Synch it with the other images and then adjust each one to the region you want. You can do this in Bridge too.

Maybe this will work for you.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Matthew Wilks on February 05, 2010, 09:02:31 am
Thanks for the responses.  I will give these recommendations a try.  It just seemed that this is so easy in Photoshop CS that the same functionality would be in LR, but I guess not.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: CDL on February 05, 2010, 11:02:48 am
Not sure whether I don't see the point, but to my opinion you could on eport just select either "Short edge" or "Long edge" and set the correponding value and then the correponding length (short or long edge) would always be exactly that value, independently of image orientation.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Matthew Wilks on February 05, 2010, 11:45:33 am
Quote from: CDL
Not sure whether I don't see the point, but to my opinion you could on eport just select either "Short edge" or "Long edge" and set the correponding value and then the correponding length (short or long edge) would always be exactly that value, independently of image orientation.

I have tried that.  The problem is that I need the dimensions to be exactly 2166 x 1600.  If I export using long edge = 2166, then the short edge does not come out exactly 1600, and vice versa.  In Photoshop CS I can specify exact dimensions when I crop.  In Lightroom, I can only specify a ratio.  Even using the more precise 1.35375 as recommended above, the dimensions do not come out exactly 2166 x 1600.  The bottom line is that it looks like it will require an additional step in my workflow either during import using ACR or after export (because LR can't do it precisely during export) using a resizing tool.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Ed Blagden on February 05, 2010, 01:19:25 pm
Matthew

In the crop tool of the Develop Module enter a custom crop aspect ratio of 2.166 x 1.6.  Then when you export set the maximum width as 2166 and the maximum height as 1600.  And you're done.

Ed
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: wolfnowl on February 06, 2010, 02:03:06 am
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.  Sometimes we overlook the obvious (to us).

Mike.
Title: Exact Crop Size Help
Post by: Matthew Wilks on February 06, 2010, 09:19:27 am
Quote from: Ed Blagden
Matthew

In the crop tool of the Develop Module enter a custom crop aspect ratio of 2.166 x 1.6.  Then when you export set the maximum width as 2166 and the maximum height as 1600.  And you're done.

Ed


I really wish that worked, but it doesn't.  It gets it close but not exact.  Sometimes the files come out 2166 x 1600.  Other times they come out 2166 x 1598 or 2160 x 1600 or some such dimension.  I can use a resizing tool after I export, but LR should be able to do this since it is resizing during export.  Hopefully, this functionality will be in LR3.

Matthew