Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: gigapixelphotographer on February 03, 2010, 03:45:19 pm

Title: Photos of Dirtiest Secret of Vancouver's Olympics
Post by: gigapixelphotographer on February 03, 2010, 03:45:19 pm
Hi Guys,

I've just finished stitching some panos, ala Google Street View Style of Vancouver's dirty little secret called the Downtown Eastside (DTES) (http://gigapixelphotography.com/DTES-downtown-east-side-vancouver-knowltons-drugs-open-seven-days/). Known as Canada's poorest postal code, the drug-infested DTES has the highest HIV infection rate in North America and a homeless population that has doubled since 2002.

(http://gigapixelphotography.com/thumbnails/DTES-downtown-east-side-vancouver-knowltons-drugs-open-seven-days.jpg)
Detail of Pano. (http://gigapixelphotography.com/DTES-downtown-east-side-vancouver-knowltons-drugs-open-seven-days/)

It's a stark contrast to the my Gigapixel photo of the multi-million dollar condominiums (http://gigapixelphotography.com/vancouver-yaletown-condos/) just a few blocks away.

With the spotlight on the city for the Olympics,
I am trying to spread awareness of what the DTES is really like (http://gigapixelphotography.com/about-artist-technology/). The opening ceremonies are next week. So I'm trying to get the word out fast. If you'd like to help, I've put up links to share on social media, DIGG, reddit, etc. here: http://gigapixelphotography.com/about-artist-technology/ (http://gigapixelphotography.com/about-artist-technology/). It would be amazing if these photos to get one somewhere like DIGG!!




Enjoy!
eric
Title: Photos of Dirtiest Secret of Vancouver's Olympics
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 03, 2010, 04:19:45 pm
Gee... who would have thought big cities have slums and ghettos!?
Title: Photos of Dirtiest Secret of Vancouver's Olympics
Post by: gigapixelphotographer on February 05, 2010, 12:05:05 pm
Just did a major edit of my post to give more detail on this project.

I hope you can help.



eric