Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: dwood on January 26, 2010, 07:18:56 pm
-
The Merganser (I think that's what it is) on the right side of the frame would just not leave when I made this picture. I waited for quite a while but it refused to move on. So, the question is, is the Merganser disruptive to the image or does it work. I have mixed feelings. Of course, if you have any other comments, they're welcome.
-Doug
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4307943472_120f063b33_o.jpg)
-
I find two elements distracting: the whatchamacallit and the white-sh lump of snow/sand/rock in the left-hand corner. Ideally, the houses in the background would also disappear in the gradually thickening early morning mist or fog... add a 10x ND to smooth the water surface and you would get a... ok, I know, wishful thinking Or perhaps that would be.. a pre-visualization?
-
The Merganser (I think that's what it is) on the right side of the frame would just not leave when I made this picture. I waited for quite a while but it refused to move on. So, the question is, is the Merganser disruptive to the image or does it work. I have mixed feelings. Of course, if you have any other comments, they're welcome.
-Doug
Doug,
The bird is fine...might you have an exposure that does not cut off the tops of the pilings?
I find myself following the lines up the frame and then....it just stops.
-
Doug,
The bird is fine...might you have an exposure that does not cut off the tops of the pilings?
I find myself following the lines up the frame and then....it just stops.
Hi Joe,
From this angle, I wanted to capture some of the detail of that first piling and these things are pretty tall. Here's another angle of the pilings that gives a sense of the height of these things.
-Doug
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4308044882_76b5643d38_o.jpg)
-
Hi Joe,
From this angle, I wanted to capture some of the detail of that first piling and these things are pretty tall. Here's another angle of the pilings that gives a sense of the height of these things.
-Doug
Doug,
I like this one much better, especially the bird
-
Doug,
I like this one much better, especially the bird
Thanks Joe. Just wasn't gonna be a bird free day. Ha.
-
Can't tell from a web jpeg, but I'd say it's not a merganser just from the body and bill shape. More likely a loon of some sort [edit: or possibly a grebe.] Where did you shoot this? Can you provide a very tight hi-res clip of the bird by itself?
-
Can't tell from a web jpeg, but I'd say it's not a merganser just from the body and bill shape. More likely a loon of some sort [edit: or possibly a grebe.] Where did you shoot this? Can you provide a very tight hi-res clip of the bird by itself?
Yeah, I really have no idea what it is but is was suggested to me that it might be a Merganser. Here's the subject in question...
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4308519153_d8ffa4bfaf.jpg)
-
It seems to me that the presence of the bird (whatever it is!) improves both shots.
Jeremy
-
It's a common loon in winter plumage. The overall coloring (black on the back, white underneath) and the bill (heavy and daggerlike) make it a winter loon, and the white indentation on the neck further identifies it as a common loon.
The bill length was throwing me for a minute (it's not long enough,) until I realized that his head is turned slightly away from the camera.
Mergansers have very narrow bills, and different body and neck patterns.
-
It's a common loon in winter plumage. The overall coloring (black on the back, white underneath) and the bill (heavy and daggerlike) make it a winter loon, and the white indentation on the neck further identifies it as a common loon.
The bill length was throwing me for a minute (it's not long enough,) until I realized that his head is turned slightly away from the camera.
Mergansers have very narrow bills, and different body and neck patterns.
I now know who to direct all future ornithology related questions to.
-
My eye immediately goes to the bird in both images. I like em.
-
I now know who to direct all future ornithology related questions to.
Ha ha. We all need a hobby, birding happens to be mine. Gets me away from the cameras.