Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Craig Murphy on January 25, 2010, 12:29:47 pm
-
At the bottom of this thread http://bit.ly/4G7mDG (http://bit.ly/4G7mDG) it says 'coming soon: third party calibration and a high-end do-it-yourself system'. Can anyone point me to that? This program did come about correct? It was a way to get a camera calibration to use in LR.
-
My first guess would be the Color Check Passport, reviewed here-
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...-psssport.shtml (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/colorchecker-psssport.shtml)
-
Thanks Greg. Maybe it was Adobes DNG Profile editor I was thinking of. I created a profile for artwork photography, put it in LR a while back and then could not remember what I used to do it.
-
I wouldn't consider the Passport software as a "high end DIY" solution, more like a quick and easy no-fuss solution. The DNG Profile Editor is far more powerful, although I still think there's room in market for something more sophisticated. One may also want to look into dcpTool (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcptool/).
-
Link does not work.
-
Link does not work.
dcpTool on SourceForge is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcptool/ (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcptool/)
-
I wouldn't consider the Passport software as a "high end DIY" solution, more like a quick and easy no-fuss solution. The DNG Profile Editor is far more powerful, although I still think there's room in market for something more sophisticated. One may also want to look into dcpTool (http://dcpTool).
In terms of just building DNG profiles, the two are pretty close (I actually preferred the DNG Profiles out of PassPort a tad). But as you point out, the DNG Profile Editor is, well an Editor and no such editor exists with the PassPort although you CAN use the Adobe editor with Passport generated DNG profiles.
IF you have no Macbeth, by all means you want the PassPort (the software is free anyway).
What is nice about the Passport software is the ability to build the profiles directly inside of LR (although you have to quit for them to show up, something the Adobe team needs to address like the Photoshop team did years ago. Their plate is pretty full so its not a huge big deal).
-
In terms of just building DNG profiles, the two are pretty close (I actually preferred the DNG Profiles out of PassPort a tad). But as you point out, the DNG Profile Editor is, well an Editor and no such editor exists with the PassPort although you CAN use the Adobe editor with Passport generated DNG profiles.
You can indeed use the DNG Profile Editor to edit any DNG profile, including those made by the Passport software. IMHO there's an advantage to editing the profiles made by DNG-PE though, because you can directly modify the adjustments made by the Chart Wizard. In the case of an externally-created profile you can only add additional adjustments on top of whatever the original profile does. And you have no real way of knowing what adjustments the original profile makes, unless you decompile it with something like dcpTool and go digging through the XML.
What is nice about the Passport software is the ability to build the profiles directly inside of LR (although you have to quit for them to show up, something the Adobe team needs to address like the Photoshop team did years ago. Their plate is pretty full so its not a huge big deal).
The Passport software is certainly more user-friendly, no argument there. That just doesn't qualify it as "high-end" in my book.
What I'd really like to see is a true profile editing solution, where you can open a DCP file and see any and all adjustments, as well as tone curve, etc. Right now the DND-PE is really an iterative profile creator rather than a real editor. But maybe that's not feasible given the way DCP's are structured, I don't know.
-
What I'd really like to see is a true profile editing solution, where you can open a DCP file and see any and all adjustments, as well as tone curve, etc.
So would I but it might be a uber geek product few would purchase so I’m not holding my breath.
-
Right now the DND-PE is really an iterative profile creator rather than a real editor. But maybe that's not feasible given the way DCP's are structured, I don't know.
How about working with Recipes.
Peter
--
-
How about working with Recipes.
Peter
--
Yes, you can modify a recipe. So if you remember to save the DCPR along with the DCP you can come back and edit it. But if all you have is the profile you can't edit it, only add to it. (maybe you want to tweak some of the profiles that come with ACR/LR for your camera model, or you've got a DNG with an embedded profile, etc).
-
Yes, you can modify a recipe. So if you remember to save the DCPR along with the DCP you can come back and edit it. But if all you have is the profile you can't edit it, only add to it. (maybe you want to tweak some of the profiles that come with ACR/LR for your camera model, or you've got a DNG with an embedded profile, etc).
True.
DNG-Recipes are not yet a very common exchange format.
I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be possible to extract the Recipe from a DNG-Profile (not sure what the dcpTool could do in this regard).
Peter
--