Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: lluis on January 23, 2010, 04:24:05 pm

Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 23, 2010, 04:24:05 pm
Hello,

I have been using my new 3880 for 2 weeks and the prints are awesome. I'm really happy with it. I just had a problem with one print, made on Epson Premium Glossy paper, in which the print has 4 or five bands, of course ruining the results. It seems that is caused by the printer heads in some of their passes on the paper. It happened just with this print. Has anybody had a similar experience? How to avoid it?

Thanks in advance

Lluis
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: francois on January 24, 2010, 04:32:37 am
Quote from: lluis
Hello,

I have been using my new 3880 for 2 weeks and the prints are awesome. I'm really happy with it. I just had a problem with one print, made on Epson Premium Glossy paper, in which the print has 4 or five bands, of course ruining the results. It seems that is caused by the printer heads in some of their passes on the paper. It happened just with this print. Has anybody had a similar experience? How to avoid it?

Thanks in advance

Lluis
Do you see scratches or banding? If it's scratches then you've experienced a common problem - head strikes. Try to use the "Wide"  or "Wider"setting for platen gap and don't forget to visit Eric Chan's website: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html)
Although Eric writes about the old 3800, you will find a lot of useful info there.
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 24, 2010, 10:47:45 am
Quote from: francois
Do you see scratches or banding? If it's scratches then you've experienced a common problem - head strikes. Try to use the "Wide"  or "Wider"setting for platen gap and don't forget to visit Eric Chan's website: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html)
Although Eric writes about the old 3800, you will find a lot of useful info there.

Well, maybe I didn't explain well. As you say, I think they are head scratches.
What is platen gap?

I'll take a look to Eric's blog.
thanks!

Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: francois on January 24, 2010, 12:14:37 pm
Quote from: lluis
Well, maybe I didn't explain well. As you say, I think they are head scratches.
What is platen gap?

I'll take a look to Eric's blog.
thanks!
LLuis,
Keep Eric's website in your bookmarks because it's very useful.
Platen gap is described (with graphics) in this article: http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsigh...i045/essay.html (http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi045/essay.html)

You can set platen gap directly on your printer. I only have the old 3800 and don't know if menus & commands are identical with your new printer. I must add that in addition to setting platen gap to wide or wider, I'v found the one must keep the outgoing printed sheet very flat or the last few cm of the print might be scratched. Also, make sure that your paper has no curl (store the boxed flat and not on the sides).

Please, let me know if you need more info.
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: David Saffir on January 24, 2010, 03:09:40 pm

I'm guessing a little bit because your description is so succinct..

If your bands/scratches run left/right:

Go to the printer driver/utility, and print the basic alignment test. (a bunch of rectangles with lines in them). If any of the lines are broken or choppy, run the head cleaning routine. Run the basic test again. Repeat until the test shows clean. May take several tries - be patient.

Make sure you are telling the printer which paper you are using (when setting up the job in the driver)

Make sure there are no bits of paper or debris stuck in the paper path.

As a last resort, set the print quality to "maximum" or equivalent.

David Saffir
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 24, 2010, 03:23:27 pm
Quote from: francois
LLuis,
Keep Eric's website in your bookmarks because it's very useful.
Platen gap is described (with graphics) in this article: http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsigh...i045/essay.html (http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi045/essay.html)

You can set platen gap directly on your printer. I only have the old 3800 and don't know if menus & commands are identical with your new printer. I must add that in addition to setting platen gap to wide or wider, I'v found the one must keep the outgoing printed sheet very flat or the last few cm of the print might be scratched. Also, make sure that your paper has no curl (store the boxed flat and not on the sides).

Please, let me know if you need more info.


I've taken a look to Eric Chan's page. Very useful, indeed.
But I'm not sure if it's the cause you are pointing at. There are 4 or 5 scratches along the print, following the heads direction. It's not just at the edge of the print.
But I'll try your advices.

You're very kind, Francois.

Thank you

Lluis
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 24, 2010, 03:26:43 pm
Quote from: David Saffir
I'm guessing a little bit because your description is so succinct..

If your bands/scratches run left/right:

Go to the printer driver/utility, and print the basic alignment test. (a bunch of rectangles with lines in them). If any of the lines are broken or choppy, run the head cleaning routine. Run the basic test again. Repeat until the test shows clean. May take several tries - be patient.

Make sure you are telling the printer which paper you are using (when setting up the job in the driver)

Make sure there are no bits of paper or debris stuck in the paper path.

As a last resort, set the print quality to "maximum" or equivalent.

David Saffir


Well, I still haven't done an alignment test. Maybe I should in first place. The thing is that only happened once, with espon photo glossy paper (it was in a sample pack, and I really don't like it...)
Which paper size is needed to print the alignment test? I can't find in the user guide.

Thank you David.
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: francois on January 25, 2010, 05:02:20 am
Quote from: lluis
…
But I'm not sure if it's the cause you are pointing at. There are 4 or 5 scratches along the print, following the heads direction. It's not just at the edge of the print.
…
Here's a quick photo of a print with head strikes. Sorry it's a bit out of focus… but it should give you an idea.

Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 25, 2010, 03:11:18 pm
Quote from: francois
Here's a quick photo of a print with head strikes. Sorry it's a bit out of focus… but it should give you an idea.


Thanks for the photo, Francois. It really isn't my problem. In the photo I send I hope you'll be able to see what happened.

Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: madmanchan on January 25, 2010, 04:51:34 pm
Quote from: lluis
Thanks for the photo, Francois. It really isn't my problem. In the photo I send I hope you'll be able to see what happened.

Does it look like the ink is being scratched off of the paper surface, by the print head?
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: francois on January 26, 2010, 03:06:36 am
Quote from: madmanchan
Does it look like the ink is being scratched off of the paper surface, by the print head?
Yes, it does.

The scratch lines seem to be evenly spaced and starting right from the edge of the sheet (at least the first or last one).
I really don't know what to think, I've never experienced scratches like that.
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 26, 2010, 11:35:00 am
Quote from: madmanchan
Does it look like the ink is being scratched off of the paper surface, by the print head?

It seems that to me. But only happened once, with Epson photo glossy paper.
Is it possible that the heads scratch the ink in some of their passes?
Wat to do to avoid it? It's a new printer...
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: francois on January 26, 2010, 11:46:56 am
Quote from: lluis
It seems that to me. But only happened once, with Epson photo glossy paper.
Is it possible that the heads scratch the ink in some of their passes?
Wat to do to avoid it? It's a new printer...
LLuis,
I can't really say from your photo but did your print received heavy ink coverage? Are the scratches really evenly spaced?
I would still call Epson although I don't know how effective it is in your country.
Title: Epson 3880 banding
Post by: lluis on January 26, 2010, 02:12:24 pm
Quote from: francois
LLuis,
I can't really say from your photo but did your print received heavy ink coverage? Are the scratches really evenly spaced?
I would still call Epson although I don't know how effective it is in your country.

Well, the scratches are quite evenly spaced. I don't know if this means something. I think I definitely call Epson.
I'm not worried because happenend only wit one print. Maybe I did something wrong.
I'll tell you if I get more info.

Thanks for your advices!
Lluis