Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: bongobongo on January 06, 2010, 06:28:24 pm

Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: bongobongo on January 06, 2010, 06:28:24 pm
Hi

Okay... pretty new to the digital "darkroom".

Have now installed Epson 3880,  and have calibrated my Monitor using Spyder 3 Pro.

Now I would like to get consistent prints, matching what I see on my screen (as much as possible without emptying my bankaccount).

Using Windows XP PRO SP3 and Adobe Photoshop CS4 and ImagePrint 8 (RIP).

If I right click my desktop and select Properties... then Setup.. then Advanced button .. then tab: Color management (??)
... here I see my newly created color profile (using the spyder) beeing selected.

(Another thing... before I calibrated my monitor (Apple Cinema Display 20" Alu) I pushed the Backlight up to 100%.
And after calibrating the Spyder software told me to leave the display adjustments the way they where or I would have to
recalibrate the monitor again.)

Could someone give me some information about how to proceed.....
What do I need to do in Photoshop CS4 prior to editing any images in order to produce the "master" image to be printed?
Anything else I should tweak as well?

Regards from a printer nooooob....
Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: neile on January 06, 2010, 11:04:13 pm
Honestly? Buy a copy of Michael and Jeff's "From Camera to Print" tutorial. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/camera-print.shtml (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/camera-print.shtml). It's 6 hours and 40 minutes long and only costs $34.95. It'll cover everything you need to know.

Neil

Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: Mike Boden on January 06, 2010, 11:10:39 pm
In addition, pick up Real World Color Management (http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-2nd/dp/0321267222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262837318&sr=8-1) by Bruce Fraser.

Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: neile on January 07, 2010, 12:16:19 am
Quote from: Mike Boden
In addition, pick up Real World Color Management (http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-2nd/dp/0321267222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262837318&sr=8-1) by Bruce Fraser.

Yup, what Mike said.
Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: dgberg on January 07, 2010, 01:28:47 pm
And Lightroom!
Title: Monitor calibrated - RIP and Printer installed - How to WYSIWYG?
Post by: AaronPhotog on January 09, 2010, 01:56:15 pm
Also, Though it's written primarily for the 3800 (I imagine it will evolve to the 3880), you should navigate over to Eric Chan's website.  http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/ (http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/)

His recommendation for screen brightness is 100 cd/m2.  If your brightness is on full, you have a problem in that you can't emulate that on paper.

In my darkroom, the proof was the paper.  Nothing's changed.

Aloha,
Aaron