Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on December 31, 2009, 09:58:01 am

Title: misty
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 31, 2009, 09:58:01 am
I think I like this, but I suspect it could be made better, perhaps by cropping a bit off the top. Suggestions?

[attachment=19051:avoca.jpg]

Jeremy
Title: misty
Post by: Lisa Nikodym on December 31, 2009, 11:40:41 am
Definitely crop off *all* the bright region near the top; it looks blown-out on my monitor, and it distracts from the interesting part of the photo, which is the misty landscape.

Lisa
Title: misty
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 31, 2009, 12:41:49 pm
I agree 100% with Nniko, er, I mean, Lisa.   

Wish I'd taken that.

Eric

Title: misty
Post by: RSL on December 31, 2009, 01:31:41 pm
Jeremy, For once I'm not sure I disagree. I pulled the picture down and tried the crop. It's a very different picture with the crop, and I'm not sure I like it better than the original with the horizon in the middle, but it's also a good picture. It's your baby. Try it and see what you think.

Fine shot, by the way.
Title: misty
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 31, 2009, 01:57:14 pm
I think the problem (perhaps) is that you have two pictures in one here, and I do this a lot myself. The sky has gorgeous colors, but the misty landscape is the number one image, IMHO. My first idea of cropping was to remove the top down to just above the dark cloud. This retains the "two pictures", somewhat, however. Now I think I'd be tempted to crop down to just below the dark cloud, making a panorama with just a sliver of sky.

But, as Russ says, it's your photo. Play with it some if you want, but end up with the version you like best.

Eric
P.S. I'm happy to note that Russ isn't a doctrinaire about no cropping. If I read him correctly, he tries his very best to frame an image right in camera so no cropping is necessary. But if a crop is seen later to improve an image, he'll try it. Right on! 

Title: misty
Post by: button on December 31, 2009, 02:28:20 pm
Compositionally, I like it.  If you can recover the blown area, I think you could improve the shot.  If the sky really is blown, then maybe some  cloning or creative masking might help.

John
Title: misty
Post by: stamper on January 01, 2010, 06:51:04 am
Quote from: button
Compositionally, I like it.  If you can recover the blown area, I think you could improve the shot.  If the sky really is blown, then maybe some  cloning or creative masking might help.

John

A layer fill mode set to yellow with the blend mode set to multiply. Reduce the opacity and target the lightest area in Blend If blending options in Photoshop. This should infill the burnt out area and give a pleasing cast to the sky?
Title: misty
Post by: cmi on January 01, 2010, 12:48:18 pm
I have to admit I like the image as it is. These white clouds might not be technically correct but for me this somehow works here.
Title: misty
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 01, 2010, 01:43:27 pm
Thanks, all. I think a compromise crop looks quite nice, coming down to leave just a little of the bright area. Stamper's idea has quite a pleasing effect, too. I took quite a few shots that morning and bracketed most of them, but for some bizarre reason failed to bracket this one. I'm rather cross with myself.

As to the opportunity to take the shot, it's just a matter of finding the right, very pleasant, friends with whom to spend Christmas. I had only to walk out of the house and half way across their field!

I agree that Russ's approach to cropping is spot-on. Don't, unless it's necessary.

Jeremy