Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: MrIconoclast on December 29, 2009, 04:48:55 pm

Title: Glossy, Satin, Matte - preferences for the people
Post by: MrIconoclast on December 29, 2009, 04:48:55 pm
I have been printing photographs for years and lately I have noticed that many people amoung the general population seem to prefer the matte finish for all types of photographs.  This has surprised me a bit, previously, most people seemed to enjoy the glossy or satin look.  The level of detail and perceived sharpness is much better on glossy papers.

 Has anybody else noticed a shift in preference for prints?    Is something going on with commercial photograph printing that I don't know about?
Title: Glossy, Satin, Matte - preferences for the people
Post by: mikeseb on December 29, 2009, 07:17:53 pm
I'd have said the trend was in the opposite direction, now that there are printers that can print glossy capably; and a wider range of decent glossy papers.
Title: Glossy, Satin, Matte - preferences for the people
Post by: rdonson on December 30, 2009, 07:52:41 am
The "general population" regards photos as always being on plastic (RC).  That's generally all they've known.  Some labs now offer a "matte" on RC but its hard to think of it as a true matte finish on a paper stock.