Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: alban on December 24, 2009, 10:42:21 am

Title: Help deciding on a battery powered strobe kit
Post by: alban on December 24, 2009, 10:42:21 am
I am planing on purchasing a battery powered kit but I find it hard to decide on one.What I am looking for is a 1200 w/s 2 head system ,asymetrical,built in slaves,decent power and if possible compact. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated


  Thanks
Title: Help deciding on a battery powered strobe kit
Post by: pcunite on December 24, 2009, 11:05:07 am
Quote from: alban
I am planing on purchasing a battery powered kit but I find it hard to decide on one.What I am looking for is a 1200 w/s 2 head system ,asymetrical,built in slaves,decent power and if possible compact. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

That kind of power on battery I assume you just need to find the head you want and get this or something similar.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...d=7-10043-10273 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10273)

Title: Help deciding on a battery powered strobe kit
Post by: alban on December 24, 2009, 12:43:46 pm
Quote from: pcunite
That kind of power on battery I assume you just need to find the head you want and get this or something similar.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...d=7-10043-10273 (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10043-10273)


 How is the power output controlled on this unit ?
Title: Help deciding on a battery powered strobe kit
Post by: kirktuck on December 24, 2009, 01:04:19 pm
I own both a Profoto 600b system (600 ws+ battery) and an Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed A/S  (1100 watt second system with the capability of using two heads in an asymmetrical arrangement.).  I love them both but the Elinchrom Ranger is the hands down winner in every category except weight.  The battery seems go on forever and the UI is easy and straightforward.

I've given up on battery+inverter solutions.  Not elegant enough.  I can use both my systems in the studio and in corporate locations without having it look too "Rube Goldberg".

I know that the Hensel Porty is a good choice as well
Title: Help deciding on a battery powered strobe kit
Post by: alban on December 24, 2009, 01:17:26 pm
Quote from: kirktuck
I own both a Profoto 600b system (600 ws+ battery) and an Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed A/S  (1100 watt second system with the capability of using two heads in an asymmetrical arrangement.).  I love them both but the Elinchrom Ranger is the hands down winner in every category except weight.  The battery seems go on forever and the UI is easy and straightforward.

I've given up on battery+inverter solutions.  Not elegant enough.  I can use both my systems in the studio and in corporate locations without having it look too "Rube Goldberg".

I know that the Hensel Porty is a good choice as well


 I am looking into the Porty Lithium but I have to say that it is a bit much when it comes to price.I mean the second head when you buy the kit doesn't even come with a reflector.