Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: once2work on December 22, 2009, 10:03:28 pm
-
My Lightroom 2.6 default sharpening is set as “25” by LR; I want to leave it as "0" as default because my photo agent demands "0" sharpening for all submission, as well I shut all sharpening on my camera too. Beside the photo submit to the agent, my personal photos I like to sharpen with my Nik Sharpener Pro instead, I found after the camera sharpen follow the LR sharpen, it produce hell lot of noise.
Any person can teach me how to shut off the noise reduction function in the LR that I don’t have to move the slider every single picture or I’ve to perform the sync of the sharpening in “0” setting.
Thank you in advance.
-
On the develop module you can create a custom preset by clicking on the big + next to "Presets" item. Sharpening is one of the things you can choose to include in your preset. When you import your photos you can select to use your preset when importing photos and it will be applied. I import all my photos with the Tone Curve - Flat option for instance, and the setting sticks through future imports.
-
Any person can teach me how to shut off the noise reduction function in the LR that I don’t have to move the slider every single picture or I’ve to perform the sync of the sharpening in “0” setting.
Actually, what you SHOULD be learning is how to properly capture sharpen your images...while your stock photo agent may say "no sharpening" what they are actually saying is don't oversharpen (which some photographers tend to do).
Oversharpening will indeed make your image brittle but proper capture sharpening will not.
-
Actually, what you SHOULD be learning is how to properly capture sharpen your images...while your stock photo agent may say "no sharpening" what they are actually saying is don't oversharpen (which some photographers tend to do).
Oversharpening will indeed make your image brittle but proper capture sharpening will not.
... and turn off the export of develop settings metadata, so they can't tell you've done it ;-)
Hywel
-
Although Jeff is right, you can also start with an unedited photo, enter the Develop module, set any settings the way you want and then go to the Develop menu choice and choose Set Default Settings.
-
On the develop module you can create a custom preset by clicking on the big + next to "Presets" item. Sharpening is one of the things you can
Hi Phillip,
Thank you for your sharing and seems to be it is the only solution in the meantime and hope for the LR3 doing something about this in future, I thank you again for your help.
Paul
-
Hi Phillip,
Thank you for your sharing and seems to be it is the only solution in the meantime and hope for the LR3 doing something about this in future, I thank you again for your help.
Paul
Paul, from this you imply that it is a problem within LR and that it should be sorted out. But I think the designers would see this as a feature of the programme, and because some degree of capture sharpening is generally desirable for most photographers have set it as the default. The great thing about LR is that you can change the defaults and use your own settings, as described by the other posts here.
Jim
-
seems to be it is the only solution in the meantime
No it's not :
1) if you insist on having soft images, tomrock's solution directly alters the LR default settings.
Note that it can be used in any other way at your convenience (ie, I generally use a lower contrast setting than LR's default, or I crank up a bit noise reduction and sharpening masking with higher ISOs), see http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_camera...ra-defaults.htm (http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr_camera/camera-defaults.htm)
2) for quality work, I'd rather follow Jeff's and Hywel's combined solutions, with a proper capture sharpening.
-
for quality work, I'd rather follow Jeff's and Hywel's combined solutions, with a proper capture sharpening.
Not only do I agree with this approach, so does my stock agency. You absolutely need to capture sharpen. What that directive from your stock agency refers to is either output sharpening ( which is not a good idea in this context as no one knows how the photo might end up being used) or the obsolete method of applying a one step USM sharpening after you are through processing (whether in L ightroom, Capture One, DPP, Nikon Capture NX, Bibble, etc.) and post-processing ( Photoshop) -- which is essentially a crude method of output sharpening.