Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Jim-St on December 12, 2009, 10:09:21 am
-
What do the "?" and kinda filmstrip thingy icons mean below the date/time data in Library grid view: see this example:
[attachment=18598:Picture_1.jpg]
I know I've seen the answer to this but right now I can't find it, and I have a folder with >100 pics all showing the icons and don't know how to get rid of them
Anyone help??
Thanks in advance
Jim
-
It means the link to the file has been broken. Have a look at this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/...04EF388E29.html (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WS3BC0B0A1-D48C-4271-891D-DA04EF388E29.html)
-
It means the link to the file has been broken. Have a look at this:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/...04EF388E29.html (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/2.0/WS3BC0B0A1-D48C-4271-891D-DA04EF388E29.html)
Hi Scott, Thanks for the suggestion. I'd tried that, though, and it doesn't seem to help. When I try to click on the "?" nothing happens. If I ctrl-click on the image and go Show in Finder, there's no apparent discrepancy between the file & folder location on my drive and where LR has them listed. Also, contrary to what the Adobe "Locate Missing Photos" page says, when I go into Develop (or any other module) there is no indication that the file is offline or missing, although the two icons still persist in the filmstrip once out of Library/Grid.
I've tried going Catalog Settings>Relaunch & Optimize, but that makes no difference either. Everything seems to work fine, but it's a mystery and a bit worrying!
Any further suggestions welcome...
Jim
-
I've had a somewhat similar problem where the library says there are nine missing photos, but when I click on that none of the photos are actually missing (i.e. I found and relinked them), so I just ignore it.
Mike.
-
I've had a somewhat similar problem where the library says there are nine missing photos, but when I click on that none of the photos are actually missing (i.e. I found and relinked them), so I just ignore it.
Mike.
Hi Mike - were it just 9 photos I'd be inclined to just forget it, but this is at least two folders and 130 files, so I am a bit concerned. Especially as the "?" is showing just on the photo thumbs, and not on the folder listings, as is supposed to happen if a link is broken (acc to Martin Evening's LR2 book, p69)
Jim
-
I may have mis-read your post, but have you tried right clicking on the question mark?
David
-
I may have mis-read your post, but have you tried right clicking on the question mark?
David
Yes Taquin - I'm on a Mac, so ctrl-click = right-click on Windows
Thanks for the thought
Jim
-
Hi Jim
I had a similar problem recently and nearly drove myself mad because it was a set of wedding pictures. The pictures were in the folder, but LR just would not recognise that they were. The problem turned out to be that after editing the pictures initially, I had then renamed the final edited set in Lightroom, using the surname of the customers in the filename, as is my normal practise. However, at some later date I had realised that I had mis-spelled the name with one letter wrong. For some mad reason I opened the folder in Bridge and renamed the files using the batch rename in that programme. Of course the files then had a new name and so LR would not recognise them! The names looked so similar that I just did not twig for quite some time. The problem with these programmes are that they are just too logical. Why the people at Adobe cannot come up with something like "do you actually mean you are looking for *****?", I don't know.
Anyway, I hope your problem is as simple. The filenames have to match.
Good luck
Jim