Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Michael West on December 04, 2009, 02:09:37 pm

Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: Michael West on December 04, 2009, 02:09:37 pm

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4158602680_3ccd3f0ec3_o.jpg)
 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/41811370@N02/4158602680/)
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: EduPerez on December 07, 2009, 09:47:08 am
The background is a bit too busy for my tastes; even with the selective desaturation, the branch is a bit hard to spot in that high-contrast scene.
Perhaps with a closer view, or with a different post-processing to the background...
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: wolfnowl on December 08, 2009, 12:43:51 am
I like the processing, but I agree that the image is just too busy.  I'd move in closer.

Mike.
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: tgipson on December 16, 2009, 06:58:32 pm
I like the contrast between the busyness of the rest of the photo and the one colored element. It seems more like real life to me.
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: Michael West on December 23, 2009, 12:50:22 am
Quote from: tgipson
I like the contrast between the busyness of the rest of the photo and the one colored element. It seems more like real life to me.

The huge evergreen and the tiny oak  growing from a crevice in the big trees bark needed I thought something to differentiate the oak from its giant host and I too think the color was really the only way to sucessfully communcate the presence of said oak.
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: francois on December 23, 2009, 05:43:28 am
I also feel that simplifying would improve the image. Maybe a simple crop would do?
Title: The Tiny Oak Hitchiker
Post by: Shirley Bracken on December 23, 2009, 06:37:05 am
I agree the scale of the host tree needs to be seen.  The little oak does get kind of lost in all the leafage in the back ground.  I would turn down the contrast on all but the big tree and the little tree.  They need to stand out from all the foliage in the background.  I'm only just learning how to use the lasso.  It's still an interesting photo!  

We have had trees start growing in the gutters.  Little beggers!