Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Ken Luria on December 03, 2009, 09:49:12 pm

Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: Ken Luria on December 03, 2009, 09:49:12 pm
The weather was poor when I walked down to China Beach near the Sea Cliff section of San Francisco. So I converted the color version and processed as B&W.

CORRECTED: The horizon was off (0.94º) and the large boulder needed to be a bit lighter.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2626/4160165247_4a45c2d23e_o.jpg)
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: Roger Calixto on December 05, 2009, 06:51:21 am
Niice shot. I like the conversion a lot. I do find the black boulder on the right to be distracting though, maybe lighten it up to balance with the land on the left would be my suggestion.

my $0.02
kt
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: francois on December 05, 2009, 07:37:54 am
Quote from: kingtutt
Niice shot. I like the conversion a lot. I do find the black boulder on the right to be distracting though, maybe lighten it up to balance with the land on the left would be my suggestion.

my $0.02
kt
I very fine photo but I agree with you. The dark rock is a bit too distracting. I also find that the horizon is not level but that's nitpicking.
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: Ken Luria on December 05, 2009, 01:20:15 pm
Thank you francois and kt! The boulder could be lighter....and oops, I thought I had leveled but it is off by a lot! The horizon was off 0.94º.and the large boulder needed to be a bit lighter. I've fixed both.
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: coles on December 08, 2009, 01:09:08 am
Hi,
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the dark boulder is fine as is, and give good contrast to the rest of the scene. If it were lightened to match the left side, the whole photo would suddenly lack anything interesting and would seem rather flat.

It's fine as-is.

And by the way, the horizon absolutely IS level. You must be looking the bridge or something else.
Scott
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: francois on December 08, 2009, 03:09:03 am
Quote from: coles
Hi,
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the dark boulder is fine as is, and give good contrast to the rest of the scene. If it were lightened to match the left side, the whole photo would suddenly lack anything interesting and would seem rather flat.

It's fine as-is.

And by the way, the horizon absolutely IS level. You must be looking the bridge or something else.
Scott
Scott
Ken leveled the horizon and lightened the dark boulder on the right  before you posted your comment. The original photo was replaced with the corrected version.
I agree with you, it is very nice now, no need to touch anyhting else.
Title: Golden Gate Bridge From China Beach - Black & White
Post by: Ken Luria on December 08, 2009, 12:40:05 pm
Quote from: coles
Hi,
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the dark boulder is fine as is, and give good contrast to the rest of the scene. If it were lightened to match the left side, the whole photo would suddenly lack anything interesting and would seem rather flat.

It's fine as-is.

And by the way, the horizon absolutely IS level. You must be looking the bridge or something else.
Scott

Thank you for looking, and commenting, Scott!
My bad! I'm sorry; I should have included the original image with the corrected one so it would not be confusing.