Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: jasonrandolph on December 02, 2009, 04:10:17 pm

Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: jasonrandolph on December 02, 2009, 04:10:17 pm
C&C appreciated.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: shutterpup on December 02, 2009, 05:17:55 pm
From a distance this looks like sky in the background. Upon closer inspection, I see the ripples in the water near the bottom of the photo. Upon even closer inspection, I can make out an almost non-existent horizon. Not being able to see that horizon causes confusion for my eye.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: JBerardi on December 02, 2009, 05:37:24 pm
Quote from: shutterpup
From a distance this looks like sky in the background. Upon closer inspection, I see the ripples in the water near the bottom of the photo. Upon even closer inspection, I can make out an almost non-existent horizon. Not being able to see that horizon causes confusion for my eye.

I that's actually what I like about it. A horizon would make it so much more ordinary. I'd be tempted to remove the horizon completely if it was my shot.

I also like the color treatment.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: PeterAit on December 02, 2009, 06:06:04 pm
Quote from: JBerardi
I that's actually what I like about it. A horizon would make it so much more ordinary. I'd be tempted to remove the horizon completely if it was my shot.

I also like the color treatment.

I think the subtle horizon is perfect. If it were more distinct or not visible the photo would not be as interesting, IMO.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: AndrewKulin on December 02, 2009, 06:08:11 pm
I quite like it as is, exactly for reasons stated above.

Andrew

p.s., Northern Ontario in November-December, quite the difference compared Hawaii at this time of year, eh?
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: EduPerez on December 03, 2009, 02:34:54 am
While the computer (slowly) loaded the image, top to bottom, I had a (forced) glimpse of this photograph but with the half bottom cropped out; the narrow depth of field on the trees, with no other reference, makes an interesting image, in my humble opinion.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: jasonrandolph on December 03, 2009, 10:40:40 am
Thank you all for your input.  The subtlety of the horizon was intentional, although in the print it's a little more obvious.

Andrew:  You got that right!  I was actually in northern Minnesota, but I'm sure the conditions are very similar to Ontario.  It was a nice (temporary) change, and reminded me of my roots.  I still miss snow at Christmas.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: button on December 03, 2009, 10:44:45 am
Well composed, well timed, well processed.  In short, well excecuted.  Good job.

John
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: cmi on December 03, 2009, 03:39:35 pm
I like it too, good athmosphere.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: RSL on December 03, 2009, 09:51:01 pm
Quote from: jasonrandolph
Thank you all for your input.  The subtlety of the horizon was intentional, although in the print it's a little more obvious.

Jason, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's a fine shot, but it's not one that really shows itself well on a computer monitor as an sRGB jpeg. I can imagine that an 11 x 14 print that brings out the subtleties of the water and the horizon would be quite splendid.
Title: North Shore, Lake Superior
Post by: jasonrandolph on December 04, 2009, 10:47:36 am
Many thanks to you all.  Russ, you're right.  The test print I made blew me away.  I already have a place on my wall reserved for this one.