Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Ken Luria on November 30, 2009, 09:20:54 pm

Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Ken Luria on November 30, 2009, 09:20:54 pm
I was in Moab at the end of September and on my last day a storm was heading that way so I was lucky to get some clouds,


(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2741/4023945924_b5b0cc35d6_o.jpg)
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 30, 2009, 10:26:53 pm
Any chance to see it without HDR?
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Ken Luria on November 30, 2009, 11:12:50 pm
Quote from: slobodan56
Any chance to see it without HDR?

This is from a JPEG instead of the RAW/NEF file, and I didn't spend too much time processing it just now.


(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2507/4148625969_41032e5531_o.jpg)
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Roger Calixto on December 01, 2009, 04:14:43 am
I like the shot very much, but I found the first version a little over the top for my taste.
Very nice shot though!!
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: tokengirl on December 01, 2009, 06:10:02 am
Honestly, the 2nd one you posted is much more pleasing to my eye.  I am left wondering why you chose to process this image as an HDR, since there doesn't seem to be a problem with more dynamic range in the scene than your camera can capture in one shot?
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: EduPerez on December 01, 2009, 06:55:07 am
I also think the second version (the original?) is very good; in my humble opinion, you do not need to use HDR on that, neither for technical nor artistic reasons.
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: marcmccalmont on December 01, 2009, 09:21:10 am
I like the HDR Sky and the non HDR foreground perhaps blend the 2?
Marc
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Josh-H on December 01, 2009, 05:50:36 pm
I far prefer the non HDR original - it captures the dynamic range as well as the detail and splendour.
Title: Canyonlands National Park - Moab, Utah
Post by: Ken Luria on December 01, 2009, 06:36:11 pm
Thanks for your replies!
I agree, the non-HDR single looks better and I'll process from the original RAW/NEF file before printing this.