Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: PhillyPhotographer on November 30, 2009, 09:02:01 pm

Title: New York City
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on November 30, 2009, 09:02:01 pm
Some of my New York City photography.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/4132676420_297df0e901.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/3972173522_c81e786cbe.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3620/3352116154_98677e7d99.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/4116675252_0e6593abf6.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/3883626284_63da714e80.jpg)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3580/4014900352_8eb5044c32.jpg)

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/4014405364_f0a2195afe.jpg)
Title: New York City
Post by: RSL on November 30, 2009, 10:02:13 pm
Michael, Good work -- all of it. Especially numbers 3 and 4. Someone's almost surely going to tell you that you should crop the center out of number 3 in order to focus more on the people. Don't believe it. I'm no fan of square formats, but this one fits. The context makes the picture. Bravo!
Title: New York City
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 30, 2009, 10:24:35 pm
Excellent work!
Title: New York City
Post by: Josh-H on November 30, 2009, 10:34:11 pm
Excellent work.
Title: New York City
Post by: wolfnowl on December 01, 2009, 02:48:19 am
Really well done...

Mike.
Title: New York City
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 01, 2009, 03:32:28 am
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed



Title: New York City
Post by: geotzo on December 01, 2009, 06:03:37 am
Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed
Classic, Inspiring. Very nicely done, I'd like to see more of it
George
Title: New York City
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on December 01, 2009, 09:44:01 am
Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed

The title for #7 is "Urban Camouflage"
Title: New York City
Post by: Randy Carone on December 01, 2009, 09:46:36 am
Philly,

Nice work, as usual, and once again the square format works well.
Title: New York City
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on December 01, 2009, 09:53:10 am
Quote from: Randy Carone
Philly,

Nice work, as usual, and once again the square format works well.

Thanks !

Also #3 has been spotted since I posted the photo.
Title: New York City
Post by: John R on December 01, 2009, 11:04:23 am
I don't see any luck in these photos, just some superb work!

JMR
Title: New York City
Post by: cmi on December 01, 2009, 12:34:25 pm
I knew before clicking that it had to be good

Wow.
Title: New York City
Post by: Colorwave on December 01, 2009, 03:39:57 pm
Great work, as always from you.  How did you pull off the DOF on the first shot?  Were you set up for a bird in the frame and tossing bread crumbs in the air, or just quick with the shutter?
Title: New York City
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on December 01, 2009, 03:59:51 pm
Quote from: Colorwave
Great work, as always from you.  How did you pull off the DOF on the first shot?  Were you set up for a bird in the frame and tossing bread crumbs in the air, or just quick with the shutter?

I had the lens prefocused and just waited. There were birds sitting on the lower observation deck of Rockefeller Center ( I was on the top level) and every time someone would walk by they would fly away and then comeback . Since they followed the same pattern I was able to setup the shot, it took 10 tries to get this shot.

f/9
1/250
EV -.33
ISO 400
Title: New York City
Post by: RSL on December 01, 2009, 05:00:04 pm
Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed

Ed, It's busy, but check HCB's "Plasterers." Same kind of thing. It looks too busy but you keep looking at it anyway.
Title: New York City
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 02, 2009, 02:55:56 am
Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
I had the lens prefocused and just waited. There were birds sitting on the lower observation deck of Rockefeller Center ( I was on the top level) and every time someone would walk by they would fly away and then comeback . Since they followed the same pattern I was able to setup the shot, it took 10 tries to get this shot.

f/9
1/250
EV -.33
ISO 400

I take it all back, I mean about the luck.  A great shot.
Title: New York City
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 02, 2009, 03:11:18 am
Quote from: RSL
Ed, It's busy, but check HCB's "Plasterers." Same kind of thing. It looks too busy but you keep looking at it anyway.
Russ, yes I looked at that on the Magnum website.  I agree - it just works.  Looking at his other images, it is interesting how often he breaks the rules.
Title: New York City
Post by: popnfresh on December 02, 2009, 12:19:45 pm
I love all of them. Of all the sets you've posted here, I think this is my favorite.
Title: New York City
Post by: usathyan on December 02, 2009, 01:28:29 pm
I Love #1, #3 and $5. The last image is over sharpened (lucis grungy) to my taste....
Title: New York City
Post by: Bartie on December 02, 2009, 01:43:55 pm
Fantastic set of images .I`m off to NY mid January and these images have inspired me.

Regards  Andy
Title: New York City
Post by: PhillyPhotographer on December 07, 2009, 09:53:16 pm
Quote from: Bartie
Fantastic set of images .I`m off to NY mid January and these images have inspired me.

Regards  Andy

Thank you, the response I've received about these photographs has been fantastic. On par with my Ben Franklin Bridge photographs.