Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Justan on November 30, 2009, 01:33:04 pm

Title: Cool Morning
Post by: Justan on November 30, 2009, 01:33:04 pm
(http://www.explore-greenwater.com/pix/NovemberMonelk.jpg)
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: John R on November 30, 2009, 05:29:45 pm
[quote name='Justan' post='328835' date='Nov 30 2009, 01:33 PM']

It is not very sharp. Perhaps you saved as small file. When I enlarge it becomes pixelated.

JMR
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: Justan on November 30, 2009, 05:46:29 pm
Thanks. The original (psd) was saved as a jpg and then reduced in size about 60+%. The goal was to not have a huge file. What are acceptable file sizes for this kind of presentation?
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: John R on November 30, 2009, 08:12:31 pm
Quote from: Justan
Thanks. The original (psd) was saved as a jpg and then reduced in size about 60+%. The goal was to not have a huge file. What are acceptable file sizes for this kind of presentation?
I think 400-600 kilobytes is good enough. about 900 x 600 pixels is what I use and then save at quality that produces that amount. You can save higher, but it won't look any better on the net and will take too long too upload.

JMR
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: EduPerez on December 01, 2009, 06:50:03 am
It surprised me to see all those animals neatly arranged and looking to the photographer... almost as if they were posing! How did you do that?
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: John R on December 01, 2009, 12:15:48 pm
I think what we have here is a severely cropped image, that when enlarged produces visible pixels. I don't think it is worth the effort.

JMR
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: Justan on December 02, 2009, 06:52:28 pm
Quote from: John R
I think 400-600 kilobytes is good enough. about 900 x 600 pixels is what I use and then save at quality that produces that amount. You can save higher, but it won't look any better on the net and will take too long too upload.

JMR

Thanks for the feedback!

Okay, I'm gonna try this again. Here is .jpg made at 50% of original psd file. The .jpg is about 1.5 mb. Not sure how the site generates thumbnails so in the interest of sparing those with slower broadband I've provided a link below.

Link to photo (http://www.explore-greenwater.com/pix/3NovemberMonelk.jpg)

About the pix.

This is a study of the use of some Photoshop tools. It utilizes 2 filters (high pass and brush stroke) to take a run at a painterly appearance.

This is the first time I've tried to duplicate a .psd with a jpg. There is a large drop off in color ranges when Photoshop saves as a jpg even at max quality settings. How do others remedy this? Do you save the file and then tweak the jpg for on-screen observation or is there a better way?

Thanks for your comments!
Title: Cool Morning
Post by: Justan on December 02, 2009, 06:54:39 pm
Quote from: EduPerez
It surprised me to see all those animals neatly arranged and looking to the photographer... almost as if they were posing! How did you do that?


They were hanging out as you see. I approached them very slowly.