Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: markdfink on November 25, 2009, 01:11:54 pm
-
I print on canvas, and have found that it shrinks lengthwise .9%. I need to find a way to expand the length of the image so that it will shrink down to the proper size after the varnish dries. In PhotoShop, this is really simple, but I'm trying to accomplish as much in Lightroom as possible so that I don't end up with multiple copies of images.
Thanks,
Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com
-
Just to understand your question: you want to stretch the length 0.9% to compensate for shrinkage lengthwise, but you want to keep the width unaffected?
If that is your question I'm pretty sure that Lightroom can't do that.
If that's not your question can you try to explain further what you're looking for?
-
Our business is canvas printing,mounting and gallery wrapping. Most are gallery wraps and Genuine Fractals 6 stretches the images for the edge printing. Shrinking should not be an issue for wraps with an image stretched on the edges.. For flat mounts we glue the image to gatorboard and then put a metal American Frame around the board. The rabbet on the frame is at least a 1/4 inch so shrinkage again is not an issue. Are you leaving a color on all edges of a gallery wrap with the image on the face? I guess in those instanses the shrinkages could be an issue on your larger frames. One thing you may want to do if you make your own frames would be to make them slightly smaller and not fool with changing anything with the canvas. We have never had any shrinkage issues so I guess I am lucky or they have not been in the field long enough to have these issues yet. What canvas,varnish and how long have they been printed before you notice this? How are you mounting?
-
Sorry for the duplicate post and hope someone else may be able to help the op with the stretch issue through Lightroom.
-
Yes, the need is to stretch it in just one dimension. I print black borders around the edges, so I need to make sure that the image area is exactly the size of the frame. I don't make my own frames, so that option wouldn't work for me.
I use Breathing Color Lyve with their Glamour varnish.
Thanks!
Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com
-
Yes, the need is to stretch it in just one dimension. I print black borders around the edges, so I need to make sure that the image area is exactly the size of the frame. I don't make my own frames, so that option wouldn't work for me.
I use Breathing Color Lyve with their Glamour varnish.
Thanks!
Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com
I know no way of "stretching" the image in Lightroom. You could easily increase the image size by that 1%, then re-crop the image in the other direction ... effectively making the image 1% longer.
I've never noticed this with BC canvases but then my process isn't very critical when doing gallery wraps.
-
I know no way of "stretching" the image in Lightroom. You could easily increase the image size by that 1%, then re-crop the image in the other direction ... effectively making the image 1% longer.
I've never noticed this with BC canvases but then my process isn't very critical when doing gallery wraps.
Most of my prints are quite large - 24"x72", so a .9% difference is more than .5".
The more I think about this, maybe the best solution is to simply change the cropping as you mention, although without resizing. So, when I need to make a 24"x72" print, set the print area to 24"x72.65". I'll have to experiment, especially since I need to take into account getting the black border that wraps around the frame correct.
Too much turkey yesterday, not enough brain power today...
Mark
www.northernlight.net
www.pinnacle-vr.com
Ps. Good news - just sold one of my 44"x40" prints today! "New Paltz - Mohonk Mountain House Tower and Chalet" under the New Paltz section of my site.
-
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/ (http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/)
Try Qimage. They have just added a canvas strtching feature to the latest update. Version 2010.103 of their Studio Edition.