Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mattpallante on November 19, 2009, 06:10:08 pm

Title: jazz
Post by: mattpallante on November 19, 2009, 06:10:08 pm
[attachment=18061:Jazz.11_18_09.0723.jpg]Saw JL Ponty in Berlin in mid 70's and at a local jazz club last night. Fun!
Title: jazz
Post by: shutterpup on November 22, 2009, 04:50:34 pm
Was the fact that it's out of focus deliberate? It really detracts.
Title: jazz
Post by: RSL on November 22, 2009, 09:54:27 pm
Matt, I'll give it a "nice try," but Pup is right, it won't quite fly. You made the shot with a Canon Powershot G10 hend-held at 1/4 second, and that was too slow to cancel the movement of the people, which the camera's image stabilization won't help cancel. In addition there's some obvious camera motion that the stabilization system wasn't able to damp at that slow a shutter speed. There are many situations in street photography where a small amount of softness from subject motion isn't a problem, but camera motion almost always is a problem. But it was a brave try. Keep trying.
Title: jazz
Post by: jasonrandolph on November 23, 2009, 09:39:50 am
I have to agree with Pup and Russ, and add that the side profile of the musicians doesn't work for me.  To me, music shots have to capture the emotion of the musicians to work for me.  You can't even see the singer's face.  Also, the gentleman on the left is so light that he becomes a distraction.  I'd say shooting from different angle and increasing the shutter speed would definitely improve this shot.
Title: jazz
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 23, 2009, 11:06:35 am
I agree with Pup, Russ, and Jason.

To make blur work, IMHO, it needs to look fully intentional. You could perhaps get effective abstract photos by using a 2 or more second exposure and a tripod, so only the musician is blurred, but seriously so. Or, even better, without a tripod, waving the camera in rhythm with the music during a long exposure. That might convey the feeling of the jazz.

Eric

Title: jazz
Post by: mattpallante on November 23, 2009, 12:46:19 pm
Yeah, it doesn't work. I mean, no, it doesn't work. I didn't have enough light, and there was no room to move around. The guy on the left is the drummer, who was looking to the band leader as he played. They were such great musicians, and I was so geeked from the show, I temporarily talked myself into thinking it might be ok. Story of my life, I'm all ways looking for 2 more f stops....Matt
Title: jazz
Post by: RSL on November 23, 2009, 03:07:42 pm
Quote from: mattpallante
Yeah, it doesn't work. I mean, no, it doesn't work. I didn't have enough light, and there was no room to move around. The guy on the left is the drummer, who was looking to the band leader as he played. They were such great musicians, and I was so geeked from the show, I temporarily talked myself into thinking it might be ok. Story of my life, I'm all ways looking for 2 more f stops....Matt

Hey! Don't give up! Keep trying. That's the only way you'll get pictures. As HCB once said, "You can't develop and print a memory."
Title: jazz
Post by: popnfresh on November 23, 2009, 03:32:30 pm
Quote from: RSL
Hey! Don't give up! Keep trying. That's the only way you'll get pictures. As HCB once said, "You can't develop and print a memory."
Or as Mae West once said: "Why don't you take a picture? It'll last longer."