Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Crying Saul on November 19, 2009, 04:42:24 pm

Title: 3800 & Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308
Post by: Crying Saul on November 19, 2009, 04:42:24 pm
Just a quick tip in case someone searches this forum with the same problem that I had.

I was happily printing on Epson papers with my new 3800 until I decided to try out the much lauded Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308. This was therefore the first time I was using non-Epson papers. I've been feeding the 3800 for weeks through the manual rear slot with A4 Epson Traditional Photo Paper (which I believe is called Exhibition Fiber in the US) without a single hitch. However, while doing *exactly* the same thing with the 308 (after downloading the ICC profile and configuring the driver properly), the printer complained with a paper error and constantly asked me to remove the paper and try again. The exact message on the printer's LCD was: "Paper error. Press the down button. Load paper correctly." The only suggestion from the Epson 3800 manual was to flatten the media, which was already as flat as the Netherlands.

I was very disappointed and frankly slightly panicked (the 308 isn't the cheapest paper you can buy).

A call to the local (French) Epson experts, who were very nice and willing to help, made me discover a couple of things that new users such as myself could find useful:
My 2c? Don't push your printer against a wall. When you insert your sheet through the rear feeder, the printer starts the mechanical process of checking the sheet load, whether it's skewed etc. Just keep your fingers slightly pressing on the sheet, pushing it against whatever bit of plastic is preventing it from going completely inside the printer. At a certain point (after several seconds), the printer will push out the sheet for half an inch before pulling it back in. When you feel the outward movement starting, release the pressure on the paper so that it meets no resistance sliding out of the rear feed. The sheet will then be properly loaded with no complaints from the printer.

Turning the sheet around 180 degrees also works, sometimes. The above method works every time for me.

The 308, by the way, is worth every praise it got