Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Brad Proctor on November 14, 2009, 01:46:31 am

Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: Brad Proctor on November 14, 2009, 01:46:31 am
(http://proctorphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/31356.jpg)

(http://proctorphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/30770.jpg)

(http://proctorphotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/30243.jpg)
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: Dick Roadnight on November 14, 2009, 08:50:16 am
Landscape photography is largely about being in the right place at the right time ...with a camera, and you got it right!
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: AndrewKulin on November 14, 2009, 08:52:31 am
I like your first photograph best.  What struck me was initial illusion that the illuminated fog near the lower left were actually clouds in the sky at sunrise/sunset, and that the remaining hills leading back into the distance were also clouds.  Then exploring the rest of the picture it becomes clear what is really being viewed. Well done.

Andrew

p.s. not suggesting you do this but had you cropped the photo to about the lower half only, I think most viewer's would never catch on to what I described above unless they spent a lot of time studying the photograph.
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: John R on November 14, 2009, 11:18:38 pm
I also really like your first image. Love the layers and gradations and the glow in the mountains as the sun tries to penetrate the rising mist.

JMR
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: Ed Blagden on November 15, 2009, 01:35:03 pm
I love #1 - cropping off the top is pretty wild too.
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: NikoJorj on November 16, 2009, 12:30:33 pm
One more vote for the first one!
Cropping could perhaps be a tad tighter at top and bottom (a bit of distracting negative space), but it's already OK as is.
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: Ishmael. on November 16, 2009, 05:07:19 pm
number one is very powerful, there's a lot of drama in that image
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 16, 2009, 05:16:20 pm
The first is fantastic, an amazing shot. The third looks to me severely rotated clockwise, but I imagine it could just be the scene.

Jeremy
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: wolfnowl on November 16, 2009, 08:46:51 pm
Another vote for the first one!  The other two, not so much...

Mike.
Title: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Post by: popnfresh on November 18, 2009, 03:36:57 pm
The first one is a good shot. If I had to pick one thing to improve upon, it would be the complete absence of detail in the foreground. This is one instance where I think HDR would be called for.