Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Josh-H on November 13, 2009, 11:08:40 pm

Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: Josh-H on November 13, 2009, 11:08:40 pm
I shot this last week up at Craig's Hut. This is the second time I have been up there to photograph it - both times I have had crystal clear skies without hardly anything in the way of cloud.

I was hoping to get some wildflowers being Spring here around the hut - but it was not to be.

This unfortunately ended up as quite an expensive photograph. On the way up there on the 4WD track I had a rock go right through the side wall of my right rear tyre; which on the X5 is a 19" 295 45 - or in english 700 bucks a tyre. Ouch.

It would also photograph very well with a fresh dusting of snow I think - If one were so lucky to get such an event while you were there.

Canon EOS 1DS MK3 w/ 24mm F1.4L MKII @ ISO 100 F11 5.0 seconds with a 1 stop Hard ND Grad - Post Process LR 2.5
This shot was taken about 5 minutes before actual sunrise.
[attachment=17913:_74X1310_Edit2009.jpg]

Comments and thoughts welcome as always.

Cheers.
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: Brad Proctor on November 14, 2009, 01:48:40 am
Very nice shot!
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: wolfnowl on November 14, 2009, 02:44:16 am
Quote from: bproctor
Very nice shot!

Indeed!

Mike.
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: francois on November 14, 2009, 04:56:41 am
The alpenglow is absolutely fantastic. I like this photo a lot, it looks so "clean". The POV is also well choosen with the hut taken from 3/4.

Too bad for your tire but it's better than dropping your 1Ds3 on the rocky ground.
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: Dick Roadnight on November 14, 2009, 08:39:31 am
Quote from: Josh-H
I shot this last week up at Craig's Hut. This is the second time I have been up there to photograph it - both times I have had crystal clear skies without hardly anything in the way of cloud.

Comments and thoughts welcome as always.

Cheers.
I like the combination of foreground, subject and background... did you consider a longer lens to make the distant mountains look bigger? That might have made DOF a potential problem for which you might have needed a T/S and a tripod
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: John R on November 14, 2009, 11:28:09 pm
The alpenglow is wonderful. The only issue I have is the left side boulder which appears to be cropped prematurely and is left at the edge of the picture. I think the composition would look better and be cleaner if there was more room around the left boulder. You probably had something else on the left to contend with. But it is still great image.

JMR
Title: Craigs Hut Mount Sterling
Post by: EduPerez on November 15, 2009, 04:07:08 pm
I liked it, very much.