Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: gkroeger on November 07, 2009, 01:57:17 pm

Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: gkroeger on November 07, 2009, 01:57:17 pm
I notice that most vendors are having a fire-sale on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.  Is this being discontinued?

Glenn
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: PeterAit on November 07, 2009, 03:01:20 pm
Quote from: gkroeger
I notice that most vendors are having a fire-sale on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.  Is this being discontinued?

Glenn

Lord I hope not - that's a great paper! Perhaps Epson is going to lower the price?
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: abiggs on November 07, 2009, 04:43:52 pm
I really doubt it will be discontinued. Periodical discounts of products in this market seems to be the trend. I do wish Epson would come out with a less glossy version of the paper, as it is way to glossy for me.
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: Randy Carone on November 07, 2009, 04:57:45 pm
The paper is not going away. Epson issued this great paper at a high price and after it was on the market for a period of time they cut the price to a more affordable level. Shortly after the price was reduced, in some sizes as much as 40%, they offered a special large quantity purchase price to dealers. Those who chose to take advantage of this promotion can now offer the paper at a substantial discount and still maintain a fair profit margin. The next couple of weeks is a good time for end users to buy a great product at a Super Price.
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: gkroeger on November 07, 2009, 05:11:04 pm
Randy:

Thanks for the info, that explains what's going on.  Time to get some more 24x30!

Glenn
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: mattpallante on November 07, 2009, 05:24:10 pm
I got a box of 17 by 22 (25 sheets.) for $58 ($67 delivered.) from ATLEX. Rock on!  
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: dgberg on November 08, 2009, 10:49:26 am
I did not have any in stock. Had no orders either but elected 3 months ago to get a pack of every size just to have here at the gallery. Paid full price,oh well you win some you lose some!
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: Mark F on November 09, 2009, 11:20:40 am
Sounds like a great deal.  How does the "look" of this paper compare to Epson Ultra Premium Luster? Is it very much glossier?
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: eleanorbrown on November 09, 2009, 12:21:42 pm
Exhibition Fiber shouts "high quality fine art", professional, elegant, heavy weight, etc...my my opinion, Ultra P. Luster is no contest.  With that said, Exhibition Fiber is a bit bright.  Wish Epson would make a version with slightly warmer surface. Eleanor

Quote from: Mark F
Sounds like a great deal.  How does the "look" of this paper compare to Epson Ultra Premium Luster? Is it very much glossier?
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 09, 2009, 12:58:30 pm
Quote from: eleanorbrown
Exhibition Fiber shouts "high quality fine art", professional, elegant, heavy weight, etc...my my opinion, Ultra P. Luster is no contest.  With that said, Exhibition Fiber is a bit bright.  Wish Epson would make a version with slightly warmer surface. Eleanor
Unfortunately both papers have optical brightening agents, whose long term stability is in question (which is why it is so bright).   I was also disappointed in the quality control of the Exhibtion Fiber have several sheets out of a 13x19 box with obvious flaws (black spots and other imperfections) that I've not seen from other manufacturers.  I know that Exhibition Fiber is sourced by Epson from another manufacturer (don't know who), but I've decided not to use it after this box is exhausted.
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: digitaldog on November 09, 2009, 01:05:55 pm
Quote from: gkroeger
I notice that most vendors are having a fire-sale on Epson Exhibition Fiber paper.  Is this being discontinued?

Glenn

Nope, in fact, Pixel Genius is working on building the 3880 profile for this paper, so its just a sale (buy some <g>).
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: TylerB on November 09, 2009, 01:22:29 pm
Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
Unfortunately both papers have optical brightening agents, whose long term stability is in question (which is why it is so bright).   I was also disappointed in the quality control of the Exhibtion Fiber have several sheets out of a 13x19 box with obvious flaws (black spots and other imperfections) that I've not seen from other manufacturers.  I know that Exhibition Fiber is sourced by Epson from another manufacturer (don't know who), but I've decided not to use it after this box is exhausted.

Innova, and there is a warm version, but not this smoothest version... so a bit more texture in the paper. It is nice though.
Tyler
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: nemophoto on November 10, 2009, 12:10:40 am
Personally, I've always preferred Museo Silver Rag. I have a ton of packs of all other papers that try to emulate the "glossy-dried-matte" of a fibre-based silver paper, and to me the Museo is still the only one that really captured the feel. Great Dmax. Not too glossy. Not too white. Hmm, sounds a little like Goldie Locks.
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: eleanorbrown on November 10, 2009, 10:37:47 am
Will you be building a profile for the Epson 7900 printer?  Hope so! thanks, Eleanor

Quote from: digitaldog
Nope, in fact, Pixel Genius is working on building the 3880 profile for this paper, so its just a sale (buy some <g>).
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: eleanorbrown on November 10, 2009, 10:40:31 am
Personally I would love to see Epson develop a slightly warm white version of their Exhibition fiber.  I use the EEF and like it very much but it's a little to bright white for me.
eleanor

Quote from: TylerB
Innova, and there is a warm version, but not this smoothest version... so a bit more texture in the paper. It is nice though.
Tyler
Title: Epson Exhibition Fiber fire-sale?
Post by: digitaldog on November 10, 2009, 11:04:42 am
Quote from: eleanorbrown
Will you be building a profile for the Epson 7900 printer?  Hope so! thanks, Eleanor

It looks like Epson will be doing this after all.