Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Thomas Krüger on November 04, 2009, 09:16:31 am

Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Thomas Krüger on November 04, 2009, 09:16:31 am
For B&W printing on the HP Z3100 I'd like to buy a simple densitometer to test paper combinationa and adjust the paper settings. It's a pity that there is no possibility to get the parameters from the inbuild spectrophotometer of the Z3100. So a simple and cheap densitometer should do the job of measuring the prints - or would it be better to switch to the X-Rite iOne Basic ?
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: digitaldog on November 04, 2009, 09:35:02 am
Quote from: ThomasK
For B&W printing on the HP Z3100 I'd like to buy a simple densitometer to test paper combinationa and adjust the paper settings. It's a pity that there is no possibility to get the parameters from the inbuild spectrophotometer of the Z3100. So a simple and cheap densitometer should do the job of measuring the prints - or would it be better to switch to the X-Rite iOne Basic ?

The EyeOne Pro using a demo of MeaureTool will do the job.
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 04, 2009, 11:08:49 am
Quote from: digitaldog
The EyeOne Pro using a demo of MeaureTool will do the job.
I think the ColorMunki will read relative densities which is all that would be needed in determining a paper setting, correct?
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: digitaldog on November 04, 2009, 11:21:04 am
Quote from: Alan Goldhammer
I think the ColorMunki will read relative densities which is all that would be needed in determining a paper setting, correct?

Hardware wise, I seen no reason it can’t. But then there’s software. Munki isn’t accessible in MeasureTool. So what software would provide the density?
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Thomas Krüger on November 04, 2009, 12:04:05 pm
This could be another solution to measure the printed test patches with my Gossen Spotmaster. It works fine with negatives, but it's probably quite difficult with prints and the different paper surfaces.

Adapting your spotmeter for densitometry from the book "Beyond the zone system"  By Phil Davis: http://bit.ly/3P17vM (http://bit.ly/3P17vM)
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on November 04, 2009, 02:31:33 pm
Quote from: digitaldog
Hardware wise, I seen no reason it can’t. But then there’s software. Munki isn’t accessible in MeasureTool. So what software would provide the density?
I'm at work and the Munki is at home.  I know there is a spot reading ability but maybe it's only for reading different colors and not densities.  Maybe this is a feature that X=Rite should add if it's only a color reader.
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Thomas Krüger on November 05, 2009, 12:26:34 am
A plain reflection densitometer from the printing industry should do the job. All I need is to measure is the density of the print patches. Perhaps I can get something used on Ebay.
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: AaronPhotog on November 05, 2009, 11:45:33 pm
The Datacolor spectrocolorimiter has a measurement function and gives you the density numbers as well as Lab numbers.  You can save your measurements to spreadsheets as well.  It is a pretty accurate device.  The new ones can also do strip readings like the more expensive X-rite spectrometers.  I have the older Datacolor ColorVision Spectro, as well as the X-rite spectro.  For profile creation, the X-rite is worth the extra bucks, but for measurements, such as for linearizing or checking dMax, they will both do the job quite well.

Aloha,
Aaron
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 06, 2009, 04:20:58 am
Quote from: ThomasK
A plain reflection densitometer from the printing industry should do the job. All I need is to measure is the density of the print patches. Perhaps I can get something used on Ebay.


Check the Digital B&W list on Yahoo. Several secondhand reflection densitometers have been discussed there.

With densito-, spectro- and colorimeters there's one thing you shouldn't be expecting too much of, at 2.5 D they are usually at the edge of the range they can measure. That's a respectable number but not impossible in gloss B&W prints. Some instruments will not get that high. The Spectrocam (no UV cut filter on the lamp) that I have does the 2.5 and not a step beyond. Measuring that on a gloss, black Acryl sample under a black cloth.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)


Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: Thomas Krüger on November 06, 2009, 07:22:11 am
Just a question for the specialists:
What about the older Gretag Eye One Photo which is sold now from X-Rite as the i1XTreme ?
 http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article..._profiling.html (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/eye_one_printer_profiling.html)
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: ErikKaffehr on November 06, 2009, 09:03:12 am
Hi!

I use a ColorVision Printfix Pro for Quick and Dirty Density measurements.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: ThomasK
For B&W printing on the HP Z3100 I'd like to buy a simple densitometer to test paper combinationa and adjust the paper settings. It's a pity that there is no possibility to get the parameters from the inbuild spectrophotometer of the Z3100. So a simple and cheap densitometer should do the job of measuring the prints - or would it be better to switch to the X-Rite iOne Basic ?
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: ErikKaffehr on November 06, 2009, 09:04:54 am
Hi,

It can output spectral data...

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: digitaldog
Hardware wise, I seen no reason it can’t. But then there’s software. Munki isn’t accessible in MeasureTool. So what software would provide the density?
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: AaronPhotog on November 06, 2009, 11:25:54 am
The highest dMax I've measured with my Datacolor Colorvision Spectrocolorimiter (PrintFIXPRO) so far in my paper tests is 2.62 (Epson Exhibition Fiber with Premium Luster paper type).  Most of the better papers top out at around 2.55, but a few reach 2.58 or so, and some of those reverse if you hit them with more ink.  Given the smoothness and repeatability of the curves plotted in this range of reflection desities the accuracy appears to be good.  My favorite paper (for now) tops out at a very respectable 2.46.

Aloha,
Aaron
Title: Densitometer to measure Dmax of prints
Post by: neil snape on November 06, 2009, 11:58:57 am
Densitometers went up to 5 I think, log value, no idea what that is in L* values.

I have and still use the ColorMunki for spot reading bars for fun. I imagine that on Bruce Lindbloom's site the values obtained in L*a*b* could be converted , weighted into density numbers.


Since I have an i1 plus Profile Maker 5 I can just measure in directly.  I don't see the numbers always being what I expect though compared to a normal filtered densitometer.

Robin Myers Spectro??? does something similar if I remember right.

Babel Color too I suppose.