Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: augg on October 28, 2009, 07:17:58 am

Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: augg on October 28, 2009, 07:17:58 am
Does anyone here have any experience with the Mola Demi and Profoto beauty dishes? They are very close in size and I expect they are similar in practical use. Any opinions?

thanks,
dan
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: K.C. on October 29, 2009, 04:13:01 am
I have both. The Mola Demi is more focused and has faster fall off, but it's a subtle difference.

I also have the old Norman 22"(nearly identical to the PF), the Mola Euro and the 17" Bowens beauty dish.





Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Dansk on November 02, 2009, 04:46:11 pm

 I used Molas years back assisting. IIRC the Mola was first and Profoto simply copied the design for the beauty dish. I dont think theres much difference between them unless there are size variants that I am unaware of with Mola. Actually now that I think about Im pretty sure Mola had some mighty big dishes. Regardless similar in the fact that the direct light is blocked and bounced. Halfway between SB and hard strobe effect.
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: K.C. on November 02, 2009, 05:22:07 pm
Quote from: Dansk
the Mola was first and Profoto simply copied the design for the beauty dish. I dont think theres much difference between them unless there are size variants that I am unaware of with Mola.


I'm not sure what the point of your post is.

The Mola is shaped differently and uses a completely different counter reflector. There were originally 3 sizes of Molas, a fourth was later added.

Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Dansk on November 02, 2009, 05:31:06 pm

 Thought it was clear enough. Anyways I guess what i was saying is in my experience the difference between the two types of dishes were minimal. I was also saying IIRC that the Mola was the first dish type reflector and from what I can recall Profoto sort of copied the design and launched the beauty dish. They also did the same thing with their GIANT box which is similar to the Briese.

I agree that the Mola has different sizes which is why I kind of bumbled about there. Its been many years and the memory is far from perfect but in short I dont think theres much difference between the Mola and the Profoto beauty dish. If there are differences its likely because of the different size Molas
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: geesbert on November 03, 2009, 04:05:21 am
(http://mola-light.com/site_images/product/Demi_b.jpg)

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/141163.jpg)

a copy? I don't think so...
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: augg on November 04, 2009, 10:01:35 am
Speedotron copied the Mola design and I believe they were sued and changed their design.

dan


Quote from: geesbert
(http://mola-light.com/site_images/product/Demi_b.jpg)

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images345x345/141163.jpg)

a copy? I don't think so...
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Brady on November 06, 2009, 01:37:40 am
The mola has much nicer specular highlights. a kind of crispness to it.  beauty dish ain't bad, just different.
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: K.C. on November 06, 2009, 01:41:57 am
Quote from: Brady
The mola has much nicer specular highlights. a kind of crispness to it.  beauty dish ain't bad, just different.

I agree. The deeper reflector creates a more directional and focused light.

Like I said in my initial post, less fall off with the Mola.
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Acadian on December 21, 2009, 08:43:38 pm
I have both the Setti (28") and the Euro (33.5") in regular studio use and can tell you that, owing to the design differences, the Mola's are much more efficient within the optimal working range (3'-5').
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: mgtuttle on December 23, 2009, 10:36:27 pm
After looking at the Mola reflectors and accessories on the B&H site I'd like to know how people modify them to use Profoto light heads.  Thx.
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Acadian on December 23, 2009, 11:16:18 pm
Quote from: mgtuttle
After looking at the Mola reflectors and accessories on the B&H site I'd like to know how people modify them to use Profoto light heads.  Thx.

here are some details from the Mola website:
http://www.mola-light.com/html/latest.php (http://www.mola-light.com/html/latest.php)
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: Conner999 on December 24, 2009, 07:40:49 am
No mods required. Molas are light-agnostic. Just mount the required speedring and you're good to go.
Title: Mola vs Profotot beauty dish
Post by: mgtuttle on December 25, 2009, 09:58:18 pm
Thanks. When looking at the B&H site it didn't seem that apparent.  I didn't see a speedring for Profoto listed so I assumed that some other modification had to be made.