Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: boneywhitefoot on October 27, 2009, 05:00:09 pm

Title: delete without deleting
Post by: boneywhitefoot on October 27, 2009, 05:00:09 pm
Here I was thinking I was being tidy in my house keeping by deleting my rejected images only to find through bridge that all what I thought were off my fast filling up disk are indeed still there taking up space  
why doesn't LR delete rejected images when I ask it too.????
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: Jim Pascoe on October 27, 2009, 07:06:58 pm
When you delete a picture from LR you are asked whether you wish to remove the picture from the Lightroom catalogue, or to delete it from the disc.  If you select the former, the picture is removed from the catalogue but remains in it's folder on your drive.  By selecting the delete from disc option the picture is consigned to the bin!

Jim
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: Bob Rockefeller on October 27, 2009, 07:37:35 pm
Quote from: Jim Pascoe
When you delete a picture from LR you are asked whether you wish to remove the picture from the Lightroom catalogue, or to delete it from the disc.  If you select the former, the picture is removed from the catalogue but remains in it's folder on your drive.  By selecting the delete from disc option the picture is consigned to the bin!

Jim

Unless you delete from a collection, in which case it is just removed from that collection, but not deleted from the hard drive.

Bob
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: boneywhitefoot on October 28, 2009, 12:42:30 am
This happens when Im sorting out what to dump from a folder , I use the x key to reject all the images that are  throw aways,I then go to photo/delete rejected  and push delete.
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: Jon Meddings on October 28, 2009, 10:06:38 am
Quote from: boneywhitefoot
This happens when Im sorting out what to dump from a folder , I use the x key to reject all the images that are  throw aways,I then go to photo/delete rejected  and push delete.

I also do something similar - I import the images, browse through and mark with 'X' those that I'd like to reject. At the end I use Ctrl-Bkspc and the delete dialog comes up. As noted above you have to pay careful attention to this as you have TWO choices - either 'Delete' (which keeps the file but deletes the entry into the catalog) or "Remove file from Disk" (or something like that). Make sure you choose the latter if you want to physically remove the original file and not simply the catalog entry.
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: boneywhitefoot on October 28, 2009, 03:12:05 pm
if you go to photo on the top menu bar there is an option on the bottom that reads ...delete rejected photos WIN version. there is no delete from dish option
this is what I used to use.
Now I will sort rejected  and when they are all up on the screen I will selct them all and then right click and choose delete from disk.....bye bye babies and off you go...for good one hopes
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: boneywhitefoot on November 07, 2009, 09:32:21 pm
the option to delete from disk is back again....cant explain it
Title: delete without deleting
Post by: boneywhitefoot on November 16, 2009, 03:54:26 pm
Quote from: boneywhitefoot
the option to delete from disk is back again....cant explain it

same again I push delete from disk and I can see the deleted images in the bin,go to import from the folder I have just deleted them from and hey presto they are still there on my hard drive.
looks like I have to delete them in the library module one at a time .