Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: ryanstrong on October 26, 2009, 02:57:46 am
-
(http://www.ryanstrong.net/images/main/ChelseaWeller-RyanStrongPhotography.jpg)
As the title indicates this photo is two photos stitched together. FORD model, hair and make-up by Wilhelmina artist.
-
That is a very nice and well lit shot. Out of curiosity though, why did you go to the trouble of doing a stitch for a subject like this?
-
Thanks. For fun? Maybe a challenge. I don't know, just building up my portfolio. I really wanted a close up of the model but I also enjoyed the scenery so by stitching I was able to enjoy both! Thanks.
-
Ryan,
I like your work; some pretty neat portraits on the site! Seems like you've kept the Strobist torch burnin'! Also like the way you've used Pictobrowser on your site.
-
Is this a stitch in the sense of two adjacent photographs glued together? Or did you merge a studio photo with the model to an outdoor photo with the background? Thanks.
-
Ryan
I don't know if it's a problem at my end or yours, but it takes forever for the images to load.
I do have ADSL and I do a lot of browsing, so the problem is unusual enough, in my viewing experience, to warrant me mentioning it to you.
Best wishes
Rob C
-
Is this a stitch in the sense of two adjacent photographs glued together? Or did you merge a studio photo with the model to an outdoor photo with the background? Thanks.
Two adjacent photographs glued together. This was shot on location.
Ryan
I don't know if it's a problem at my end or yours, but it takes forever for the images to load.
I do have ADSL and I do a lot of browsing, so the problem is unusual enough, in my viewing experience, to warrant me mentioning it to you.
Best wishes
Rob C
I haven't experienced this problem. It might of been Flickr's servers during your visit to my site as all my photographs are hosted there.
-
Ryan,
I like your work; some pretty neat portraits on the site! Seems like you've kept the Strobist torch burnin'! Also like the way you've used Pictobrowser on your site.
Thank you, yes the Pictobrowser came in handy for an avid Flickr person that I am. I enjoy sharing my 'strobist' information because I remember learning about lighting and struggling to figure out how other photographers lit their photograph. Hopefully that information helps someone!
See my Flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanstrong (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanstrong)
-
Very nice environmental portrait- that's my favourite kind of portrait. The colours are are well balanced
JMR
-
Ryan
I don't know if it's a problem at my end or yours, but it takes forever for the images to load.
I do have ADSL and I do a lot of browsing, so the problem is unusual enough, in my viewing experience, to warrant me mentioning it to you.
Best wishes
Rob C
I see that the pictures are hosted at Flickr, and that site has been very slow during the last days, at least from here.
-
Very nice environmental portrait- that's my favourite kind of portrait. The colours are are well balanced
Thanks... yeah I was really happy with how the leaves and the sun warmed up the pic.
I see that the pictures are hosted at Flickr, and that site has been very slow during the last days, at least from here.
Yeah its def a Flickr thing.
-
She's gorgeous. But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image. And why is she sitting behind a pile of kindling?
-
She's gorgeous. But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image. And why is she sitting behind a pile of kindling?
It looks obvious to me, she is an outdoors girl.
JMR
-
But she's lit is so differently than the background it makes her look like she's sitting in front of a projected image.
How would you have lit this scene?
It looks obvious to me, she is an outdoors girl.
That she is
-
I really like the lighting and the atmosphaire which looks very theatrical in a nice way. The aspect ratio is also interesting and I wish I could see some fashion magazines coming out in that format.
-
The aspect ratio is also interesting and I wish I could see some fashion magazines coming out in that format.
That would be very interesting. Thanks everyone for the compliments.
-
How would you have lit this scene?
I wouldn't have. But then, I'm a landscape photographer.
-
How would you have lit this scene?
I think they key/fill lighting is fine - well balanced with the ambient lighting, and it nicely models the face. IMHO it's the rim/back lighting that doesn't quite fit the scene. Since the scene itself is in overcast light, the rim-lighting looks a little artificial, and provides too much separation from the background.
It's a nice shot overall, though.
-
IMHO it's the rim/back lighting that doesn't quite fit the scene. Since the scene itself is in overcast light, the rim-lighting looks a little artificial, and provides too much separation from the background.
That's the sun doing the rim. The sun was setting and wasn't entirely overcast, kind of spotty in places. There was only one strobe used, a beauty dish camera right and up high.
-
Practicing your stitching aye Ryan? Hehe.