Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dbk123 on October 24, 2009, 04:29:35 pm

Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: dbk123 on October 24, 2009, 04:29:35 pm
Could some please tell me the maximum print length possible using the Epson 7900 when printing from Lightroom or Photoshop on the Mac?

Thanks,

-dbk123
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: Scott O. on October 24, 2009, 04:42:58 pm
As I recall from several years ago, the limitation with the Epson roll printers is not with the printer, but the software you are using.  Seems like something like 60" from Photoshop, although others may want to correct me.
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: dgberg on October 24, 2009, 06:56:44 pm
90.5 inches when using the Epson driver.
Proven not the maximum but it is the number in the Epson manual.
I just printed to 120" with the Epson driver so please disregard the 90.5 inches as I have no idea how they came up with that number.
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: kirmo on October 25, 2009, 02:56:12 am
Quote from: dbk123
Could some please tell me the maximum print length possible using the Epson 7900 when printing from Lightroom or Photoshop on the Mac?

Thanks,

-dbk123


Not the maximum, but I managed to make a 5,9m (about 230") long print with the following combo:

MacOs 10.5  + 8G memory + LR 2.5 + Epson 9900

I tried to make a longer one, it failed. I assume the problem was in not having enough memory.
I have upgraded to 24G but haven't tried to print longer. I'll inform when I have time to try again.

Kirmo
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: Sven W on October 25, 2009, 05:38:19 pm
Quote from: kirmo
Not the maximum, but I managed to make a 5,9m (about 230") long print with the following combo:

MacOs 10.5  + 8G memory + LR 2.5 + Epson 9900

I tried to make a longer one, it failed. I assume the problem was in not having enough memory.
I have upgraded to 24G but haven't tried to print longer. I'll inform when I have time to try again.

Kirmo

If you invest in your money into ImagePrint instead of loads of RAM, you can print up to 100 feet!
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: kirmo on October 26, 2009, 04:37:05 am
Quote from: Sven W
If you invest in your money into ImagePrint instead of loads of RAM, you can print up to 100 feet!

Yes, I know.  If just could afford everything I wanted!

But, Imageprint for 44" size printer for me means 2495 USD + 22% VAT
and the memory upgrade about 400 USD

Kirmo
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on October 26, 2009, 06:26:21 am
Quote from: Sven W
If you invest in your money into ImagePrint instead of loads of RAM, you can print up to 100 feet!


Colorbyte doesn't show the 7900 and 9900 as supported by Imageprint.

Qimage + a PC with some memory will do the job for $400.
Software solutions for Mac + Qimage exist as well and starting from a lower price.

There are poster-stitch methods possible with Illustrator + a Mac to create longer print lengths.
Check the archive of the Epson Wide Format mailing list at Yahoo.



met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/)
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: langier on October 26, 2009, 12:03:51 pm
If this is any indication, the maximum image length on the x800 printers (previous generation) is a maximum image length (image file) of 30,000 pixels from what I remember. I would think it would be the same or longer in a newer printer.
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: vgogolak on October 28, 2009, 05:43:22 pm
I've used Qimage over 70"  (and 24" wide) on 7900 no problem.

the main thing is to define the "user defined' size
then Qimage will either put it in at specified size (and DPI) or it will scale to fit
the Qimage algorithms in their Studio I find quite good (and a lot better than PS, about same a genuine fractals) and sharpening is well controlled.

I've done a bunch of pano's and a 1.5GB file (stitched P65+ images  :-)

and works fine on an old laptop. Best to use the USB port for these - some LANs can be touchy.

regards
Victor
Title: Maximum print size on Epson 7900?
Post by: pleverington on October 31, 2009, 08:34:39 am
If you print through illustrator you can print any sze by using tiles--basically breaking down the large print into separate pages and then printing them sequentially without a space between them.

Paul