Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: mattpallante on October 24, 2009, 04:16:34 pm

Title: Matt's Blue Ridge drive...
Post by: mattpallante on October 24, 2009, 04:16:34 pm
[attachment=17456:fence_an...4220_lzn.jpg]
[attachment=17457:fence_an...4225_lzn.jpg]
[attachment=17458:sweeping...4302_lzn.jpg]

Any favorites here?
Title: Matt's Blue Ridge drive...
Post by: EduPerez on October 26, 2009, 05:31:52 pm
I like them all; but perhaps I am somehow biased toward paths and fences, as I tend to photograph them a lot myself. Risking to be called "the crop boy" in this forum, I would try some cropping on them, just to see what happens: on the first two, I find the sky too bright; on the last one, there is an uninteresting zone at the lower right corner. I would also play with the curves: even if the photographs do not seem overexposed at all, some darkening may add to the final result. Just my two cents.
Title: Matt's Blue Ridge drive...
Post by: mattpallante on October 28, 2009, 05:27:34 pm
Quote from: EduPerez
I like them all; but perhaps I am somehow biased toward paths and fences, as I tend to photograph them a lot myself. Risking to be called "the crop boy" in this forum, I would try some cropping on them, just to see what happens: on the first two, I find the sky too bright; on the last one, there is an uninteresting zone at the lower right corner. I would also play with the curves: even if the photographs do not seem overexposed at all, some darkening may add to the final result. Just my two cents.

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the skies being too bright, and I'm thinking about some additional crop at the bottom of #2. I like to get other opinions before I've worked on an image too much, and get defensive about what I've done. Here's another fence from the road trip...
[attachment=17563:fence_and_field.jpg]
Title: Matt's Blue Ridge drive...
Post by: EduPerez on October 28, 2009, 06:18:18 pm
Quote from: mattpallante
Thanks for the comments. I agree about the skies being too bright, and I'm thinking about some additional crop at the bottom of #2. I like to get other opinions before I've worked on an image too much, and get defensive about what I've done. Here's another fence from the road trip...
[attachment=17563:fence_and_field.jpg]

The mood on this one is completely different, and I like it too.
Title: Matt's Blue Ridge drive...
Post by: dchew on October 29, 2009, 06:15:11 am
I really like the way you have color balanced these, especially the first two.  There's some kind of pink/peach pastel feeling that I don't see very often in fall photos.

Dave