Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Etienne Cassar on October 24, 2009, 10:19:25 am

Title: Hyde Park
Post by: Etienne Cassar on October 24, 2009, 10:19:25 am
Any comments on how I can improve this picture?
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: RSL on October 24, 2009, 11:00:26 am
Eccasar, Splendid, rich view. It isn't easy to get the sun to do that. Very nice.
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 24, 2009, 11:01:21 am
Quote from: ecassar
Any comments on how I can improve this picture?
No.

Jeremy

(in case of doubt, that means I like it!)
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: AndrewKulin on October 24, 2009, 11:54:48 am
Technical comments only as composition is great.  I see distinct halos where the tower and the cloudy sky meet.  So tone down the HDR or sharpness settings a bit?  

Also, the bare branched trees in the distance at the right have a reddish colour to them.  Could be natural to the trees or could maybe be CA fringing (red/cyan).  I cannot zoom in enough to tell.

Andrew
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: Etienne Cassar on October 24, 2009, 12:12:32 pm
Thank you all for your replies.  I wasn't expecting so much +ve feedback as I am no Pro.  Andrew I managed to get rid of the red fringing around the trees on the right side.  I had corrected the CA in ACR but I had to activate the defringe all edges to get rid of it completely.  I am finding it very difficult however to get rid of the halo around the tower.  The image is a composite from the same raw image, one adjusted for the foreground and one for the sky, with a mask applied to the latter in photoshop.  What do you mean when you say tone down the HDR?  How do I go about it?
Etienne
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: AdrianT on October 24, 2009, 12:30:09 pm
Wonderful capture of the crepuscular rays! I love the tones and and colors. I agree with Andrew on the halo around the tower and roof tiles. What sharpening method did you use? You may need to adjust the sharpening to get rid of the halo. As a personal preference, I would've preferred to shoot the scene from a lower POV and a wider focal length, maybe pull out to 24mm instead of 32mm to avoid the cropping of the edge of the roof on the right and the edge of the pond on the left. But overall still a beautiful photo.
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: Etienne Cassar on October 24, 2009, 12:45:11 pm
Quote from: AdrianT
Wonderful capture of the crepuscular rays! I love the tones and and colors. I agree with Andrew on the halo around the tower and roof tiles. What sharpening method did you use? You may need to adjust the sharpening to get rid of the halo. As a personal preference, I would've preferred to shoot the scene from a lower POV and a wider focal length, maybe pull out to 24mm instead of 32mm to avoid the cropping of the edge of the roof on the right and the edge of the pond on the left. But overall still a beautiful photo.
Thanks for your comments Adrian.  I have sharpened the image in ACR.  I don't think the halo is an effect of the sharpening but from the mask applied in photoshop.  I have tried to increase the brightness of the sky area and the halo is now less obvious.  Here is the revised image.  What do you think now?
Title: Hyde Park
Post by: AdrianT on October 24, 2009, 01:33:44 pm
Quote from: ecassar
Thanks for your comments Adrian.  I have sharpened the image in ACR.  I don't think the halo is an effect of the sharpening but from the mask applied in photoshop.  I have tried to increase the brightness of the sky area and the halo is now less obvious.  Here is the revised image.  What do you think now?

I bit better! I think you could still "contract" the mask by 1 or 2 pixels so it'll "hug" the edges some more. Tha should do it