Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Pvassilis on October 23, 2009, 05:49:24 am

Title: Quato Hardware calibration
Post by: Pvassilis on October 23, 2009, 05:49:24 am
Hello people,

I have a Quato 213 Excellence and use an i1 and Icolor display3.5.0.0 to calibrate it. During some tests and activating different profiles I noticed something strange. I have a PS window in the background and the window of Icolor display in the foreground. I activate a different icc profile, my monitor changes appearance BUT, when I click on the PS window it changes again!! For example let's say that my initial view is dark. When activating another profile the monitor gets brighter and when I click on the PS window to activate the monitor darkens, but not as much as in it's initial state, it lays somewhere in the middle. PS version is CS4 and I run OS 10.5.8.
Any explanation/ideas would be much appreciated.

Vassilis P.
Title: Quato Hardware calibration
Post by: tho_mas on October 23, 2009, 06:05:06 am
Quote from: Pvassilis
Any explanation/ideas would be much appreciated.
you have to reboot Photoshop first so that it can load the new monitor profile.
Title: Quato Hardware calibration
Post by: Czornyj on October 23, 2009, 06:29:07 am
Quote from: Pvassilis
Hello people,

I have a Quato 213 Excellence and use an i1 and Icolor display3.5.0.0 to calibrate it. During some tests and activating different profiles I noticed something strange. I have a PS window in the background and the window of Icolor display in the foreground. I activate a different icc profile, my monitor changes appearance BUT, when I click on the PS window it changes again!! For example let's say that my initial view is dark. When activating another profile the monitor gets brighter and when I click on the PS window to activate the monitor darkens, but not as much as in it's initial state, it lays somewhere in the middle. PS version is CS4 and I run OS 10.5.8.
Any explanation/ideas would be much appreciated.

Vassilis P.

You may change the linearization of the display - so the apperiance of non color managed content will look different - but Photoshop manages the colors of images - it compares TRC of the color space the image was rendered to, the TRC of the display, and applies a correction when needed. So you may change gamma calibration targets, but the image will look the same in Photoshop. It may only be brighter/darker when you change the luminance calibration target.